Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came from a Ford 6.0, and was using a SCT programmer that tuned the tranny as well as the motor... it frink'n :peelout..... Is there anything out there for my new dodge that will do the same ? I have no mod's and only looking to add the max safe power, but from what I read so far the programmers don't tune the tranny..

·
Registered
411 Posts
SMARTY is all I can say:beer

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Smarty is the Dodge answer to Ford's SCT. Can add a lot of power on the higher levels. Off the top of my head I can not think of any dodge tuners that program the trans, but there are stand alone controllers and of course performance valve bodies for that. If you want lower EGTs and less power the smarty jr. is a good option it tops out at 100rwhp but has some fuel economy friendly tunes as well. Edge makes a nice module and so does Quadzilla but overall, especially on this forum, the smarty is the most popular.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea why nobody makes an all-in-one tunner for Dodge .... Is it because they know our tranny's suck and don't wanna be held liable ?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
i think its because they cant? the fords tranny is way smarter then a dodges!
I don't know anything about the ford trannys, But I don't think I want one that smart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So tranny isn't going to happen through the programmer huh.... what is the cheapest, and still good way to have a smooth shifting, strong tranny when I end up adding that 100 or so horsepower to my truck.. ?

·
2,247 Posts
When it comes to the trans, don't cheap out, you have an expensive vehicle. Get a valve body from HTS, Goerend, DTT or Suncoast and a TC while your at it. Not cheap, but great insurance and will handle power and keep that trans running strong for a long time.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If your going to 100 rwhp you should do a tranny upgrade or just drive it right. Don't stress it too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't afford to do both VB, & TC so which one is more essential for the coming up 100 horses. And will the VB & TC be enough for the Smarty. :woot2:

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Valve body first. Yes, a VB and TC will be enough for Smarty BUT you won't be able to do boosted launches or anything of that sort, or you'll snap the input shaft....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man this is quiet the reality check. With my ford I just had to come up with the $'s for the programmer and that was it.. Dodge I have to come up with the $'s for the programmer, and a caveat of add-ons just to enjoy it. :RANTIN: So how much for the VB, TC, and shaft.... and are these all things I can do at home. I'm mechanically inclined, but by no means am I a pro. BTW thank-you all for the great info and suggestions. :thumbsup

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Well...If you do an input shaft, you'll need/want to get a laminated or billet flexplate. They *should* be doable for a mechanically inclined person.

VB - up to $500
TC - up to $1400 (a good one can be had for around 1000)
Billet Input - up to $800
Flex Plate - up to $500

Don't know wha to tell ya...Dodge has the greatest engines ever put into a pick-up, with trannys that can barely handle stock power :thud: ...but really, it's that they make an insane amount of torque...with bolt-ons and a programmer I'm running almost double stock (dyno'd) wheel torque whereas a Powerstroke would have, maybe, 200lb-ft more...

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is true...it is the torque that kills the tranny and the cummins, when you turn her up makes a boatload of it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well...If you do an input shaft, you'll need/want to get a laminated or billet flexplate. They *should* be doable for a mechanically inclined person.

VB - up to $500
TC - up to $1400 (a good one can be had for around 1000)
Billet Input - up to $800
Flex Plate - up to $500

Don't know wha to tell ya...Dodge has the greatest engines ever put into a pick-up, with trannys that can barely handle stock power :thud: ...but really, it's that they make an insane amount of torque...with bolt-ons and a programmer I'm running almost double stock (dyno'd) wheel torque whereas a Powerstroke would have, maybe, 200lb-ft more...

How kind of milage are you getting with after all the mod's......... man this truck is going to really thin out the wallet :$: Mods = fun = money gone = wife pissed = better start looking for a girlfriend soon :lol3:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stick with the truck mods, the girlfriend would be more expensive:$:, besides the truck doesn't complain as much!:beer

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
I would have to also say the smarty. later on if you have more mods there are tons of free programs to upgrade to if you get injectors/turbos etc. you get what you pay for with the smarty its no joke. lots of options available now including fueling to 4k rpm, raise the speed limiter to 250mph just to name a few.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the A2 come with power setting on it?? Or do you have to buy the "juice" to get the power levels ?

·
Registered
520 Posts
free programs

I would have to also say the smarty. later on if you have more mods there are tons of free programs to upgrade to if you get injectors/turbos etc. you get what you pay for with the smarty its no joke. lots of options available now including fueling to 4k rpm, raise the speed limiter to 250mph just to name a few.
can these "free" programs be downloaded to the Smarty JR? or are they smarty SR specific?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts