Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this has been getting progressively worse everytime i go to start my truck. I turn the key and wait for the wait to start light to go off. Then wait a couple more seconds for my battery gauge to go up. When i crank my truck over it turns over once then just stops for a full second or more... then starts cranking slowly for about 10 seconds before it fires up.

Some times i have to repeat the process three times before it will fire cuz if i crank it too long it drains my battery. My main battery is brand new and my passenger one tested good. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
17 Posts
and make sure the terminals connecting to the batteries are better than snug, as in, you can't turn them by hand. I've had a similar problem with a loose ground cable lug.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
You should have replaced both batteries anyway. Make sure no cables are swollen or corroded.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure if the grid heater should affect your voltage enough that you have to wait for voltage to climb after it shuts off. Bad connection/battery somewhere

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Waiting on the grid heater is not the problem. That old battery is not putting out enough cranking amps. Always replace both at the same time on these trucks. Use at least 27's. Some even expand to 31's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both baatteries should be replaced at the same time, The new battery will only be as good as the weakest one.
Sounds like low voltage. Does it do it when you boost the truck ?
If it does it the starter may be on its way out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Ill be replacing the other battery tomorrow. Also the positive wire on my main battery is slightly corroded. I called dodge and to replace all battery wires just for the main battery is gonna be almost $800 so that will have to wait for a while. But i will replace the other battery and clean up all connections and tighten down. Hopefully that solves it but if not ill have to test the starter.

How hard is the starter to get to and replace?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so it was very cold last night and i went out to start it today and its not starting at all. The first time i tried it cranked over for about 10 seconds. After that even with trying to jump it i was getting nothing. The next time i tried it didnt crank just made a buzzing sound. Then the next time nothing. Just a single click. So im assuming the second battery is bad?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i replaced the other battery. Went to turn it over and nothing but a single click. My battery gauge goes up to almost 14 when i turn the key but when my heater turns on it drains it down to 9 or 10. Then creeps up to around 12 when it goes off. Should i just try jumping it again or is it most likelymy starter or alternator or?? All these little problems my truck keeps having are getting really frustrating so any help is appreciated

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Find a commercial truck battery shop and take the old ones in and have them made. They will be 1/4 to 1/2 of what dodge wants. Don't replace the good ones.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Clean the cables & connectors one at a time, from the batteries to the starter and to the ground...all of them.

After all that, if the starter is still poor, you'll need to remove the starter and look at replacing the starter contacts or have them replaced at the local starter/generator repair shop.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Weak batteries kill starters.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Some can or will. Many of these chain stores nowadays won't or can't do anything. The battery or truck shops will often do it better and cheaper and will have out large cable size in stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts