Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this truck off a kid and the day I was supposed to pick it up the Airdog pump quit working, He called airdog and had them send him a new motor thinking it was bad and after he put it on nothing happened, he then replaced the relay and fuse with no luck.

Well today I AM going to go look at it with him cause I want my truck, lol. So short of a bad connection somewhere or the 12volt ignition source fuse blown or coming loose what else could it be? I am taking an ohm meter to check the wires
for continuity if all the connections seem good and to check the plug itself.

Just not sure of what else could be wrong. Oh and as soon as my tax check gets in I will be upgrading to a FASS 150 titanium. So, anyone have some ideas on what I can check for other than what I stated above?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
First thing is check the airdog relay for power. If it has it to poles 86/85 then jump poles 87 /30 to send power to the pump. Check for voltage at the pump.

If you have power at the relay, but not at the pump Check the joint connector above the drivers wheel well. It can get pretty beatup.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
I won't suggest for you to beat it with a sledgehammer..... Follow "Me"'s advice, as he is "The Professional"(Awesome movie by the way) on bad Airdogs...

Ed

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said he drove it home shut it off and the next morning the pump didn't kick on. SO hopefully I can figure it out pretty quick, I mean I just got a loan for it and I still don't have it yet, lol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the fuse or the wires inside the motor. I have seen 2 pumps where the solder broke on the posts of the motor
He just replaced the motor from Airdog.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
If you want my honest to god opinion I would pass on any 12 year old truck/ car that you needed to pull a loan out on. I would have saved tons and tons of money if I wasn't dumb money wise in regards to cars when I was 18/19.

Anways since you won't listen to the above, I mean I didn't either :rof start tracing wires, could be the ecm not sending power ( had that happen).

I am gonna throw my guess on ecm not sending signal and jumping the relay fixes the issue.

And Ed, Never call me a professional when it comes to Airdog/purecrap product. Next thing you know people are going to be asking me left and right how to fix something that cannot be fixed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Tell the guy to deduct the price of a fass titanium from the selling price and pay you that in cash as a refund:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you want my honest to god opinion I would pass on any 12 year old truck/ car that you needed to pull a loan out on. I would have saved tons and tons of money if I wasn't dumb money wise in regards to cars when I was 18/19.
Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

Either all cash or wee small personal note and cash.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell the guy to deduct the price of a fass titanium from the selling price and pay you that in cash as a refund:thumbsup:
I'm still holding a sizeable check for him but he only gets that when he gets the truck running again. If we can't get it figured out today I'm gonna have to tell him to send it to the shop and get it fixed.I was supposed to get it Tuesday and now here we are on Friday.:sad2

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Once I get my Mustang sold The truck will be paid off. So it was a loan for only a month or two.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts

where you from in the Great White North?

Grew up in International Falls at least for a number of years.

Once I get my Mustang sold The truck will be paid off. So it was a loan for only a month or two.
Great, a note on an old car/truck is always a bad idea. Been there done that and still paying off that from the wake.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's the ecm how do I check for that?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
If the relay is not receiving power on pin 86/85 ( don't remember which) when you bump the starter then the ecm isn't sending the signal or if you jump the relay between pines 87 and 30 and suddenly it works then you know the ecm isn't sending a signal

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the relay is not receiving power on pin 87 when you bump the starter then the ecm isn't sending the signal

Worst case scenario everything checks out and I go to check this and I have no signal does this mean I need to get a new ecm? If so where do I go to get one?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Reread my post I edited it I had my pins mixed up.

When this happened to me I just ran a switch into the car connected to pins 30 and 87 before I started the truck I fliped the switch.

New ecm can run 1500-2000 from the dealer. There isn't a good rebuilder of them. mine just started working again one day, likely due to me cleaning grounds

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like a lemon air dog pump

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
where you from in the Great White North?

Grew up in International Falls at least for a number of years.

Great, a note on an old car/truck is always a bad idea. Been there done that and still paying off that from the wake.
I live 12 miles North of Bemidji off of 71.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It sounds like it's the relay I had that prob with the Fass 150
I have and I ended up hooking it up to a direct current so as soon as I tue the key to on position pump kicks on until I turn key off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.