Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need some ideas Any ideas

646 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cdaugherty 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok here we go. I’m looking to build up my motor with bolt on parts Before I start getting into the Smarty tunning. I have a 5” turbo back straight pipe, S&D intake and the CFM intake manifold is on it way. I have my gauges ( Trans, Pyro, boost ) and every things looking good so far. Before I got a diesel I was all about the “ all throttle no boost no bottle”. Now that I have my diesel I see there is no way around the boost. Im just looking for the next step for my truck. I was thinking about an intercooler, CP3, and injectors. Any thing else with out going towards twin’s and boring the block. Im looking to get some hp with out killing my stock Tranny. dont get me wrong the tranny will ber replaced soon but looking to go till the end ofthe year with it or untilli get my smarty. Let me know what u all think. :confused013:

#2 ·
I'd stay right where your at, tranny wont hold much, and all the stuff you have done throwing a intercooler wont do much... you could put on things like a airdog, GDP big line kit, airboss intake or wilson thrasher, but I wouldn't do much to the injectors till you get the tuner you want.. don't want to over fuel the stock turbo and programing and once you have a tuner you dont want to under fuel it... I'd do the injectors when you get the tuner and set it up at that time...

#3 · (Edited)
ok well the intercooler is a freebee so it dosent hurt. How about the CP3. and I was looking at some of the smaller injectors not the 200 or 150 but something a little above where im at now. Good idea on the big line kit. Looking to do it in braided stainless if that possible. Bit I can understand about the injectors after the smarty. I was looking for some easy power that wouldn’t kill the tranny. I drive with a led foot on the highway but no burn outs or take offs. Would that prolong the death of my tranny. agin i wrk on big boy diesel engines all day. 8v92, 6v92 60 series detroit's. but never done any add on's to then like u ca do with th smaller blocks.

#4 ·
It depends on your tranny.. Mine I think if I added 10hp it would explode... I also drive with a lead foot.. I have hear that 50hp tips are a decent combo without a tuner and stock turbo... and have heard of smaller but dont think they are worth the cost if the bigger stuff to support them isn't there...
free intercooler is a hard thing to pass up..
I'm sure you could squeeze a bit out of it before the tranny gave up the ghost before you are ready

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.. I want to put a tuner on it and get things going fast and more power, but I know I'll just toast the tranny... so until I put in a tranny in I'm just leaving it as is for now..
Oh and a boost fooler may help a little

#5 ·
07Big horn gave you some good advise. Your auto trans won't take any thing over stock power for very long before it goes. Get a built trans first then do 50 or 90 shot injectors with a programmer. On the trans, get a built torque converter, valve body, input and out put shaft, and a mag high tech trans pan, with AMSOIL ATF and you'll be good.

#7 ·
Head studs. Honestly where I would go first. Just an insurance policy before you start trying to get more power. Next, bigger CP3 or even duals and injectors. As far as programming goes I myself am hard pressed to beat the smarty. It works awesome for me (mind you I'm stacking it on top of an MP-8 which is not a bad thing to look into. Of course with these few add ons you will prob toast a stock tranny in no time at all. Prob should consider building your motor(i.e.- valves, rods, pistons, springs) before u start looking to Put out some serious power.. I'm not a genius when it comes to all this so if anyone would like to correct me on anything, please be gentle!! We're all here to learn and help each other out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.