Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. A friend of mine has an 01 HO 2500. He's got a drag comp, 240 hp sticks, ps66, walbro 392, etc... Anywho, his injection pump went out and since I work at a local injection shop he wanted me to put an SO pump on for him. I put the pump on, got it running, and it ran good. All of a sudden it started cutting out, surging, etc... Well he found out it was low on fuel. Filled the tank and drove the truck, and everything was fine. I told him to leave the pump wire untapped to make sure that fixed the problem, but he went ahead and tapped it anyways.

Now he called me today and said that the truck was cutting out again, kind of like a bad pump, but also like air in the fuel. The cap on his fuel filter housing is cracked, and there is also a crack on the tank, so I think that he is sucking air into the fuel. He thinks that the pump is bad. He is putting a fuel pressure gauge on tomorrow so we can check that. What do you guys think it is? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Im no mechanic, but would guess if there is a crack in the filter top(all the way through) then ya it could be suckin air!!!!:w:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I keep telling him. He said that it starts fine, and idles good, but as soon as you give it throttle it starts to run rough, and if he keeps into it it cuts out. He swears up and down the pump is bad, and I keep telling him to fix his filter cap and the tank first and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And what about his lift pump???? mine acted the same way last winter when it was trying to gel....starving for fuel, couldn't push it thru the filter....if his filter housing is cracked and lift pump is working, should be leaking/spraying fuel all over the place.....loosen the fuel line banjo bolt at the ip and bump the starter. hmm, did you fellers change the ff???? start with the cheap/simple stuff and work toward the expensive/complicated......

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
If he has been running around for a while with the issues, he may need to fix all above mentioned parts including the VP if he continues to ignore the repairs.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
evrythng behind the inj pump is under press o how couldit be suckin air w/o pissin fule all over the place.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
oh yea..i got a pusher sorry

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Why on earth would anyone start the R&R process by demanding that the most expensive part to fix is the problem...

Start with the easier things and make sure that air isn't getting into the fuel system....

I know one thing, if he's starving his new VP for fuel with a tapped wire, he's going to be replacing that soon as well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's got a Walbro 392 pump kit from Glacier and is running a solid 17 psi to the IP. The IP was replaced because he had the P0216 code. The pump was replaced, ran great for 2 days, and then started having problems again. He is going to get a new ff housing cap this week, and also fix the tank as well. That will knock those two pieces out of the equation. Also, someone had mentioned to him that the ECM may need flashed since he put an SO pump on an HO motor. Is there any truth to this? I thought the swap was pretty straight forward, just swap the pumps and go.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
WHere would u go to have the ECM Flashed? And how much is it?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would assume you'd have to go to either a Dodge dealership or else a Cummins shop. I have no idea on the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts