Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I like many of you guys bought the oh so famous extended warranty with my truck only to completely modify and delete it right away :doh:

Heres where I stand now. I just rolled past 35k miles the other day. It kicks in at 36K and if I am going to return it for my money I need to do so now. I have never had any major failures with the truck, but the small things that have happened the dealer has taken care of 100% with rental car and everything. About 2k miles ago I have my entire AC blower fan replaced under warranty. Things like that my dealer has obviously never batted an eye to even with the other mods. I dont know if a 3rd party warranty company would or not. The dealer told me just now that I can sell it back, and that they would just take it off the back end of my payments. For you guys that have sold them back, is that what they did for you, or did you actually get any money in hand?

If I could get the money in hand, I would sell it back right now for sure because I am really struggling for some cash right now. However if they are only going to take off my last few payment I dont know if it is worth getting rid of just for the pure fact of the rental cars (no other vehicle to my use when my truck is down) and the bumper to bumper stuff that can go out in 100k such as the AC motor that just did. Things like that can add up. Obviously if I blow my trans or my turbo or head gasket, I'm probably not even going to go to the dealer lol.. but if my radio goes out, or a my sunroof gives me issues again, things like that, I am just unsure if removing the last few payments from my contract is worth it or not

What would you guys do?

And if you have, was it the same deal with the payment, or did you guy actual money?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honestly, if youre struggling for cash now... Id leave it completely alone. If ONE major thing happens, you'll be completely screwed and without a truck. My history with the extended warentees has always been good as long as its not something you modified and thats what caused the issue. Never had a lift or bigger tires cause an issue either. Think about what these trucks can tow... now consider that most guys with lifts dont do any serious towing (otherwise its be stock height with a 5th wheel) and then think about the additional stress of some larger tires... doesnt even compare.

Now the engine... well... if you fry the computer and it had a aftermarket tune on it... youre fawked. Fry your starter or alternator... should be no issue. Explode your engine.... who knows.. depends on the mods to your truck and how logical the dealer is. Tranny... and diffs... same thing mild tune and some bigger tires... should be fine. Come in rocking stacks, a Hot Damn tune, aftermarket turbo and 44" tires... ya... your tranny probably isnt going to be covered.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
It appears he deleted right away.

If they only take it off the principal of the loan and you have to keep making your payments in full, you have to decide what's worth more:

1) A warranty of unknown value -- i.e. unknown what they'll cover.
2) The money back in reduced principal and saved interest on the loan.

You don't say if it's a Genuine Chrysler Service Contract or not.

IF it is, those are fabulous. I'm not suggesting they'll cover driveline failures on a deleted truck like yours. They probably won't do anything more than RAM would have done in the initial 3/36,000 or 5/100,00 driveline.

But if it's an AFTERMARKET / 3rd party warranty -- many of those clowns do NOT like to pay claims. They can be a disaster unless you dot every "i" and cross every "t" -- though some can be good.

In that event, I'd return the warranty and reduce my principal on my loan.

If it's a Genuine Chrysler Service Contract, it's closer call. It would cover all your electronics, AC blower, expensive AC equipment under the hood, etc... even if you deleted.

In EITHER CASE -- You're not going to get any cash in hand if they'll only credit it against the principal on your note, thus shortening your payments. Had you paid cash out of hand and not financed the warranty, they would have to pay you I believe.

My take from what you have said.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys

It appears he deleted right away.

If they only take it off the principal of the loan and you have to keep making your payments in full, you have to decide what's worth more:

1) A warranty of unknown value -- i.e. unknown what they'll cover.
2) The money back in reduced principal and saved interest on the loan.

You don't say if it's a Genuine Chrysler Service Contract or not.

IF it is, those are fabulous. I'm not suggesting they'll cover driveline failures on a deleted truck like yours. They probably won't do anything more than RAM would have done in the initial 3/36,000 or 5/100,00 driveline.

But if it's an AFTERMARKET / 3rd party warranty -- many of those clowns do NOT like to pay claims. They can be a disaster unless you dot every "i" and cross every "t" -- though some can be good.

In that event, I'd return the warranty and reduce my principal on my loan.

If it's a Genuine Chrysler Service Contract, it's closer call. It would cover all your electronics, AC blower, expensive AC equipment under the hood, etc... even if you deleted.

In EITHER CASE -- You're not going to get any cash in hand if they'll only credit it against the principal on your note, thus shortening your payments. Had you paid cash out of hand and not financed the warranty, they would have to pay you I believe.

My take from what you have said.
You hit the nail on the head!

As far as who the warranty is through, I dont remember, but I will be finding out tomorrow when I am there for my oil change. Thats a very good point tho, and I am pretty sure that I agree with you. I know the after market companies are sometimes crap to deal with, especially with the on going list of mods this truck has and will see. As I stated before, so far the dealer has been way more than ok with everything, even things that could be questionable. So as of right now, I think I would have to agree that if it is a genuine chrysler contract, I think I will keep it. But if it turns out to be an aftermarket company, I will think about it, but realistically probably sell it back. I know I paid $3k for it, and at the time it sounded great, but thats about all I remember.

Thanks for all the info, and I will know more in a few hours :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well I have been through this, and this I'd how it worked, if you financed the extended warrenty then it comes off the loan, if you paid cash for it later like i did you get a check in the mail, which I used to purchase my parts. The warrenty that I had wasn't all that great when you start reading the fine print which you don't get till after you pay. There was a lot of copays and out of pocket payment associated with the extended warrenty and too many hoop to jump through for me.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
Well I have been through this, and this I'd how it worked, if you financed the extended warrenty then it comes off the loan, if you paid cash for it later like i did you get a check in the mail, which I used to purchase my parts. The warrenty that I had wasn't all that great when you start reading the fine print which you don't get till after you pay. There was a lot of copays and out of pocket payment associated with the extended warrenty and too many hoop to jump through for me.
This is very common with 3rd party contracts. Genuine Chrysler Service Contracts are handled seamlessly at the dealer. They know the expectation is that the customer thinks it's an extension of their factory warranty -- which it's not. But they execute them as if it is and if you have the Maxcare exclusionary plan, it's as good as aftermarket service contracts get.

This is why when people ask me should they or shouldn't they regarding service contracts I say yes if it's a Genuine Chrysler Service contract AND not at the time of purchase. You can buy them from many reputable dealers online at great discounts anytime under the 3/36 and up to 12 months after in many cases (we're talking the best exclusionary plan here). The dealer selling your truck hopes you don't notice or take the time to research the price of the service contract and they fold it into the vehicle financing ensuring maximum profits.

The worst is when said dealer goes with a third party contract because the profit margin is very good. They're just a sales agent making an easy buck and don't care because they won't have to deal with any service contract dissatisfaction until time and mileage down the road. Heck -- In this business sales managers come and go every 6 months.

Lastly, with 3rd party service contracts you have to research who the reinsurance carrier is and what their financial status is with the rating agencies. The warranty company has to get a reinsurance policy in the event they go belly-up. But who with and what is their financial rating?

All these 3 party issues can be avoided with the Genuine Chrysler Service Contracts. Have lots if experience in this area if anyone needs anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.