Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking at my thread. I just purchased an 09 Mega that Ive started messing with. New to the cummins side of things but ready to start improving the power/mileage somewhat. I have the skyjacker 3" lift with 35 inch cepeks.

Ive been looking at just putting the edge in as of now because its all Ive really heard about. I dont want to start messing with serious warranty issues right now so need some ideas as to what I should start with for components.

Thanks again,

Zach

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
to really be able to tell ya much bud sincou have an 09 we are gonna need to know the build date on your ECM. Look over the drivers side tire through the wheel well and get us the date on it then fill out your signature and we will go form there. ECM's afte 3/4/09 have a bootloader that prevents the ECM from being able to be tuned with a programmer. SMarty, XRT, or Black Max are the way to go if yor before 3/4/09 but anything you do to the truck could void your warranty including the edge best place to start there is to talk to you r dealer and see how mod friendly they are. Get back to us with this stuff and we can get you started on a very long an addictive road:party018:

Reactions: Bighouse

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still tryin to figure out the signature stuff. Looked under the wheel well. I know nothing about these new diesels nor what the hell Im exactly lookin for under there. Little more help?:confused013:

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
no prob bud look over the drivers side tire towards the top front through the wheel weel to the side of the engine block you will see a little white square sticker about 2" square just below a bog wire plug on the top of the sticker I think it says Cummins Inc below that there are 6 lines I believe of printed numbers the 4th one is the ecm build date it will say like 03/04/09 get us that number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, found it. Needed to see a picture of what I was lookin for. Heres the date 3/09/2009 so now what?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
you are 5 days past the cutoff for the boot loader which means your ECM has the damn chrysler virus that prevent you from being able to use a tuner like the XRT or the Smarty or Black max:banghead:. The good thing I guess is you can still use the Edge and even upgrade it to the Edge race and do your DPF delete but you are either stuck with running the egr valve or unplugging it and living with the Check Engine Light on the dash. Me I would unplug the dang thing and live with the light. I did when i first got my 08 and gained about 1.5 MPG and better bottom end response. Plus you can always plug it back in and after 4 strats the CEL will go away on its own. The EGR are the death of our engines here is a pic of the stuff

The DPF is a Diesel Particulate filter which is a huge round can (one of like 4) in your exhaust that are developed to cathc all th soot produced by our trucks the bad thing is it needs cleaned or REGEN every so often and uses an additional spray form our fule injectors to heat it up to clean it. It is notorious for causing multiple trips to the dealer for service and the EGR causes multiple problems with the turbo getting all sooted up and messing up. Use you Exahaust break all the time it seems to help keep the turbo a little cleaner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any big risks? I guess my question is what would you do if it was your truck? With the edge would you put cold air intake, exhaust, etc?

Ive never done any mods to my vehicles. Im a super rookie!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am running the edge race. I love it. The power difference is night and day. The only problem is that my egt reaches the high limit pretty quick. Then the edge starts defueling. Just depends on how fast you are wanting to go. By the time the defueling hits you are moving on down the road pretty good. I'm running 5inch turbo back, and an S&B intake. The edge has several nice functions that other tuners don't. It comes with an egt probe and the digital gages are great. Hope this helps

Reactions: Bighouse

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I would suggest you do a bunch of reading on here there are dozens of threads on to delete or not to delete. You will find that a majority od the guys on here will tell you to delete as I would. BUt there are a couple things that factor into potential reliability of your truck what kind of driving do you do? mostly city and short trips ie the grocery getter? or longer commutes with interstate running. THe dpf filter needs heat to keep itslef clean getting up to highway speeds generates enough heat to do this for the most part. beboppin around town cruising will plug it up on a regualr basis and make you hate your turck and become very familar with your dealership. The EGR in my opinion needs to be unplugged and I would recomend going back out to your truck righ tnow and doin that. pop the hood takes 30 seconds to do and you wil gain about 1.5 mpg increase the life of your oil and your engine by reducing the soot being recircualted through your engine. I hate the EGR valve. YOu will have a CEL but it is only a soft one. I unplugged mine on the dealers lot when I bough the truck and never looked back:hehe:

·
Registered
213 Posts
we all have in one form or another get rid of the crap and save a lot of headache at the dealer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long story short. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. 90% oilfield town. We have a dealer here but they arent going to be much help. Aftermarket place is decent but they are behind the curve when it comes to this kind of stuff. On average, I put anywhere from 200 to 500 miles on in a week from now until april, from april to november average more around 500-1500 miles a week. It wont be an issue to get out and heat it up at all.

The main reason im lookin at doing this stuff is because I travel on a heavily traveled oilhauling highway and when youre gonna pass, more often than not, youre doing a double or triple pass on these big ol semis. When I pull out to go i got plenty of juice but when Im in the middle of the pass it just kind of stalls,doesnt have that extra pull. I started using the manual option and that helped but I need a different source. Also, mph is sitting around 9.5 to 11.5. Dont know if there is a break in period for mph or not but its got a long way to go.

Thanks for the info guys, I got a lot to learn but I also want to know what works already.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
The edge is in noway a bad tuner a lot of guys ran them before he smarty/xrt and a lot still do. If you need it now that wold be my choice get the edge race and a 5"Turbo Back Exhaust and enjoy probably all your looking for power wise and will help the MPG some. ALSO dont forget ti unplug the EGR valve but if you get the edge dont set it to clear the code it will cause the truck to buck and sputter!!!! just live with the CEL

DID you go unplug the egr yet :confused013::lol4:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perfect. That was one of the questions I was gonna come at ya with. A buddy of mine has the Edge w/ att and he was saying that his clears but I wasnt sure how it affected mine being its the later model.

Thanks again for your help. If you think of anything else Im gonna need, please let me know. Ill go with your recommendations for now and then at some point, ill end up doing the delete. Or if I go with the race, do I HAVE to do the delete now?

Also, Raddison, is your ECM dated after the 3/4/09 date? Just trying to compare apples to apples.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
No bud you can do the edge with Attitude then when your ready to do the deletes upgrade to the race I "think" its a $99 upgrade also just FYI yuo should be able to pick up the edge and stuff pretty cheap here in the classifieds a lot of guy still have them on the shelf that switched to smarty or XRT or Black Max. heck now that you got your signature figured out if you want to go that route go back an edit your sig that your looking for an edge for sale someone will om ya. Just a thought. yeah the edge can clear other codes for ya but the EGR does not like to have its code cleared. just smile at the little yellow engine "CEL"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts