Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my truck's been doing this on & off now for about 2 weeks & I'm trying to figure out what exactly the problem is. Even with it plugged in, the truck's taking a little longer to start. Granted it's been varying from 20-50 degrees here in lovely upstate NY over the past couple weeks. With it started, it runs rough for a little & then starts to smooth out. Now this is where it gets weird. Every now & then I'll go to take off once I've first started the truck & it has no balls what so ever. Barely can accelerate. If it's in park or neutral I can rev the engine up just fine though. Then all of a sudden it'll wake off & take off like a bat out of hell. It also does the same thing sometimes cruising down the highway. It'll start to slow down & then wake up & take off. My thoughts are lift pump related. The truck still shifts fine with no problem. It's a stock truck (no tuner). I know some people claim that tuners can have this effect on a truck. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so still having the problem where when I first start the truck, sometimes it's got next to no power & then all of a sudden it wakes up. Every now & then it'll start to slow down if I'm doing under 65 & if you let of the gas for a few seconds & then tap it, the truck picks right back up. The other day I took it off the block heater for a few hours to plug my dad's Kubota in while I used the garage. Once the glow plugs were warm, I started the truck & it started kind of rough & blew white smoke. I shut it off & started it back up a few minutes later. The truck fired right up & was idling smooth but when I went to move the truck, under load it started running rough & blowing white smoke. Any ideas what the problem is?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Were you able to get a fuel pressure gauge on it yet? That alone will help us figure things out a ton easier. Got to know the VP44 is gettin enough fuel. Next, do you have any codes? They wont always throw the check engine light on either so get it scanned. White smoke usually means you have an injector problem. Are they stock injectors? How many miles on them?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh and just to let you know, the cummins doesnt have any glow plugs. It has electrical grid heaters in the intake manifold that heats the air up before it goes into the engine. Just a fun fact.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Have you scanned it? Do you know what fuel pressure is? We don't have enough information to do anything but guess.

My guess is that you need a VP, fuel gauge and steering box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't scanned it, have to hook the scanner up when I get time (joys of working full time & going to college). Same applies for the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Codes I pulled were: P0216 & P0234.

0216 is injection pump timing malfunction. Usually means the injection pump need to be changed or is going out. Try resetting the code and see if it stays away some people have luck with that.

0234 is an overboost code. Check for broken lines at the wastegate etc. could be putting the truck in limp mode. Clear and see if it comes back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

1 - 9 of 9 Posts