Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, this Cummins newjack needs some advice from people who have been there. I've resigned myself to the fact that my VP44 is circling the drain. Not now, but soon. My (presumably stock) lift pump crapped out the other day, leaving me to assume that the injection pump is circling the drain. 2001, stock, 155,XXX miles, AT. Soooo, just a few questions.

1) What are the signs of an injector pump on its last leg, other than DTC's? I am on the road quite a bit, and don't want to set myself up for getting stranded somewhere because I didn't pay attention to an obvious red flag.

2) Where is the best place to buy a VP44? I'm not looking for the lowest bidder, but I don't want to get taken.

3)I'm looking to replace my lift pump with a FASS or Airdog at the same time I eventually have to replace the injector pump. I'm not looking to do any major horsepower mods. Are the 95 GPH lift pumps enough to keep the VP satisfied as opposed to the 150 GPH?

Any help on the subject is much obliged!

·
Registered
207 Posts
WELL IT could be any of those two ...have you cracked the injectors.. and pump the ignition .. to see if theres pressure ..you can also remove the little clampon the rubber line right befor the vp and pump the ignition to elimate your lift pump as the problem .. you really wanna to get a fuel pressure gauge.... check out thoroughbreddiesel.com the have a great combo package including the vp44 and airdog 150 gph ..for 1420.00$ but personally i would go with the vp44 fass combo for 1620.00$ fass is a little bettter considering they use better material than airdog and the let you buy the vp first and send the core in later...

Reactions: GoodSamaritanMx

·
Registered
207 Posts
you may also notice the beggining of a failing vp by slammin the gas pedal down .. and see if the truck starts to shake a little thru the accelaration ... its hard to tell but sometimes it can run fine and all of a sudden truck will just kill and not fire up again

Reactions: GoodSamaritanMx

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
you may also notice the beggining of a failing vp by slammin the gas pedal down .. and see if the truck starts to shake a little thru the accelaration ... its hard to tell but sometimes it can run fine and all of a sudden truck will just kill and not fire up again
Come on you know better than that!

Cummins don't have Gas Pedal's We have Throttles!

Gas just sounds so weak!
:rof

1 - 4 of 4 Posts