Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to diagnose vibes, but I have to leave in about 20 minutes! I got all 8 bolts off the front and back, disconnected the front, but how the hell does the shaft disconnect from the transfer case? Its stuck solid!

Well, disregard. Got it off. Just to confirm, I'm not hurting anything keeping it off correct? If this quiets down the vibes, I may keep it off till I can get it rebuilt, just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Won’t hurt anything to drive it without the front drive shaft.

Reactions: TxAg98

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess either a rebuild or a new front driveshaft is in my future. Smooth as a baby's butt all the way up to 75 with the shaft out. :(

·
SuperModerator
10,395 Posts
Good thing you pay attention to changes, unlike others who find out with an explosion of destruction under their feet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just recently replaced my front DL. The local shops said that they build new ones for the cost of rebuilding the old one. I think it was just north of $500 for a new Tom Woods DL.

You can replace those Torx 40 bolts with some M8-1.25X40 metric class 10.9 Hex flange bolts when you put it back together.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You can rebuild that cardan joint in an hour if you take your time. They aren't hard, just make sure you grease the spring and ball between the joints or have a driveshaft built without the cardan joint and notch the trans support to clear.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I replaced my driveshaft in lieu of the ujoints, price and convenience were there for me vs rebuild. I also did the bolts too.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, universals are greasy hard work, throwing a new driveshaft in is way easier if you have the money. The u-joints start at $10 though, if you're so inclined to do it yourself.
I have replaced plenty of U-joints but those relevant to the Cardan joint is what I wanted professional experience tackling. The last thing I want is that front DL wiping out my trans while towing my 5er.
I thought it was pretty interesting that the shop said that the cost to rebuild would be "sixes" to buying a new one from them.

Sidenote: My 04.5 did NOT have any grease access in the Cardan joint as verified when I removed it and the shop that measured it for the new one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a new front DS as rebuilding wasn’t really that much different and I was t sure I had the skills to rebuild it correctly. Mines an 05 so don’t feel too bad it lasted until mid 2020!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts