Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil doesn't seem to want to search on here for past threads so... we end up with a lot of posts with words containing the word oil... sorry guys :lol3:

At any rate... my truck holds a consistent 40lbs of oil pressure generally... I looked down the other day and noticed 80lbs... hmm strange. I turned it off and restarted it (the gauge went down when off, then when I forward positioned the key it jumped back to 80lbs) it seems that it read 40 the last time I drove it.. but it's back to 80 again
either way, is there a trick to reuse these little demonic oil pressure sensors? or do I need to purchase a new one? if anybodies got any input it'd be nice or if you've got an aftermarket unit installed and want to kick me your stock one (I'll buy it cheap)
Thanks in advance guys...

·
Cummins Fanatic
875 Posts
I'm interested too. I have the same problem. Without even havin my truck running it jumps to 80 and stays there.

G

·
I posted on this before, so its out there, dunno where.

The oil pressure sending unit is a $180-250 piece from a parts house. Dealer price is unreal. Cummins offers a silly price on the part, which is worth about $20 tops in my opinion. I got Part number 4921511 for $85, which is a direct replacement.

There is a not so direct replacement, which is a single pin sender and wiring harness that adapts the single pin to the truck wiring. Part number is 3408428 from Cummins. You will need a reflash for the PCM so it understands the new sensor.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the part number man!!! how do I go about getting the $85 dollar part? website or call Cummins? there is a Cummins shop around here but those guys don't seem to be salesman, just hardcore mechanics LOL.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I replaced the oil pressure sensor on my 96 last week with a lifetime warranted part from O'reilly's that cost only $19. The indicated oil pressure now matches the temporary case gauge I put on it so I am happy with it. I stood on a cinder block, used a 1 and a 1/6" stubby end wrench that I made, and used a mirror to see what I was doing. I don't know if your 01 is like my 96, though.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anybody else have input on where to get a replacement part? I'm not trying to beat this thread to death but I'm doing head studs and marine gasket and having my head machined immediately (as soon as I go pull the hood off my truck and get started) so I've got a few days to think about it and I was really hoping for a trick to reuse the sensor LOL... if that's possible.
It was acting right the last trip I took... got to operating temperature and it was bouncing again... man if it aint one thing its another one on the way!!!!

G

·
I called the not so local Cummins dealer and asked for the parts department. They shipped the part to my employer, and I paid my boss.

G

·
I replaced the oil pressure sensor on my 96 last week with a lifetime warranted part from O'reilly's that cost only $19. The indicated oil pressure now matches the temporary case gauge I put on it so I am happy with it. I stood on a cinder block, used a 1 and a 1/6" stubby end wrench that I made, and used a mirror to see what I was doing. I don't know if your 01 is like my 96, though.
The catch is the 96 uses an electric sending unit, while the 98.5-02 trucks use PCM compatable sending units. The one part number I mentioned allows the use of the electrical sending unit, and includes a harness to adapt it. After that, the $19 part will work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:thumbsup i was driving my 99 home from school and my oil pressure fell into the red ,the warning alarm on.Imediatly i responded with shutting off the key and coasting to a stop.wandering how much this was going to cost?suspicious of the sender ichecked all the vitals.Every thing seemed fine turned the key and the gauge reading half.I started the truck loosened the turbo pressure line and discovered i had oil PRESSURE! When home i got on the net and found out our local dealer was charging $320 for the sender.thinking to myself i thought ,inever paid this much on a import.searching harder i found the forum and one of your replies on the topic with part #'s. thanks for your time invested on the problem.Being a student money is a little tight.
I posted on this before, so its out there, dunno where.

The oil pressure sending unit is a $180-250 piece from a parts house. Dealer price is unreal. Cummins offers a silly price on the part, which is worth about $20 tops in my opinion. I got Part number 4921511 for $85, which is a direct replacement.

There is a not so direct replacement, which is a single pin sender and wiring harness that adapts the single pin to the truck wiring. Part number is 3408428 from Cummins. You will need a reflash for the PCM so it understands the new sensor.

G

·
Glad to help, I know the student versus money battle all too well.

:thumbsup i was driving my 99 home from school and my oil pressure fell into the red ,the warning alarm on.Imediatly i responded with shutting off the key and coasting to a stop.wandering how much this was going to cost?suspicious of the sender ichecked all the vitals.Every thing seemed fine turned the key and the gauge reading half.I started the truck loosened the turbo pressure line and discovered i had oil PRESSURE! When home i got on the net and found out our local dealer was charging $320 for the sender.thinking to myself i thought ,inever paid this much on a import.searching harder i found the forum and one of your replies on the topic with part #'s. thanks for your time invested on the problem.Being a student money is a little tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
oil pressure sending unit

Hello everyone,

I had problems with my oil pressure gauge from the day I bought my truck, 98 Dodge 2500, 5.9L Cummins 12V.

Oil pressure would drop to zero when I stopped at a light, bell sounded and red "Check Guages" lite would come on.

I knew it was the sending unit so I installed a mechanical gauge. When I took the sending unit out the black cover with the connector came loose from the metal part that screws into the block. Checking the sending unit with air pressure and a ohm meter I found the sender would send erattic signels when the pressure was down around 40 PSI. At 60 PSI sender indicated about 50 ohms of resistance. I soldered a 50 ohm resistor onto the broken off connector part of the sensor and plugged it into the wiring harness. Dash guage now reads 60 PSI all the time, no iritating bells and I just use the mechanical guage which I think is more accurate.

Hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone,

I had problems with my oil pressure gauge from the day I bought my truck, 98 Dodge 2500, 5.9L Cummins 12V.

Oil pressure would drop to zero when I stopped at a light, bell sounded and red "Check Guages" lite would come on.

I knew it was the sending unit so I installed a mechanical gauge. When I took the sending unit out the black cover with the connector came loose from the metal part that screws into the block. Checking the sending unit with air pressure and a ohm meter I found the sender would send erattic signels when the pressure was down around 40 PSI. At 60 PSI sender indicated about 50 ohms of resistance. I soldered a 50 ohm resistor onto the broken off connector part of the sensor and plugged it into the wiring harness. Dash guage now reads 60 PSI all the time, no iritating bells and I just use the mechanical guage which I think is more accurate.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Bringing this back from the dead to verify that 50 ohms works for the old style (non dummy) sending unit.

Id rather spend $50 on a real gauge and fool my computer, than spend $80 on a sending unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm interested too. I have the same problem. Without even havin my truck running it jumps to 80 and stays there.

I have a 2000 3500 same thing turn on the key straight to 80 and stays there if the motor is running or not :banghead: Where is the best place to tap in a mechanical gauge in line?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a 2000 3500 same thing turn on the key straight to 80 and stays there if the motor is running or not :banghead: Where is the best place to tap in a mechanical gauge in line?

Thanks in Advance
my 01 does the same thing and has since i got the truck. yours should be like mine and there is a plug on top of the oil filter housing, pull that and put the mechanical in to there. i have been running mine like this for some time now and trust mechanical over any factory gauge anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Where is the stock oil pressure sensor on the 24 valve?

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dumb question but is it what the map sensor plugs in to? I need to replace mine and the one I got has a slightly different plug.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dumb question but is it what the map sensor plugs in to? I need to replace mine and the one I got has a slightly different plug.

no, they are different, the oil sending unit (atleast on mine) can be seen through drivers wheel well. it has been about 6 months since I have looked at them, but here is a diagram that you can look at to see where they are located.

24 Valve Fuel System Components

Reactions: 01cumminsman
1 - 20 of 27 Posts