Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had a problem with my truck gettin stuck in 5th gear every since my parents used it to haul the camper. I have the modified locknut so i dont think thats it, But it will not get stuck in 5th if your driving and you go to shift down to a lower gear. It only happens when you are in reverse and then try to shift out of reverse. instead of lettin me shift into nuetral, it just strait goes into fifth? Now i took off all the stuff to see the top of the transmission and i see this...

So i just pushed in the clutch and used a screw driver to move the U shaped thing on the left to line up with the rest, and it looks like this...

So after that, the truck will shift throught the gears like its nothin and wont get stuck. But after i drive it for a couple days it'll get stuck again? Do i need to rebuild or what? Somebody told me that my shift fork might be wearin out or my synchronizer is goin bad? any ideas? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Id get it looked at professinally or do a NV5600 swap. I have no idea man. Not so hot on trannys.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is a fairly common issue and off the top, I can't remember the fix. There are helpful links here, so search for "stuck in fifth" or "stuck in reverse" and you wil be on the right path to the solution.

·
Registered
19,098 Posts
I appears to me that the bottom corner of the left side middle finger is broken off. Try shifting by moving the stick in the pattern rather than letting it slide left or right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On mine one of the struts on the countershaft 5th gear was
broken causing it to lock into gear.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I appears to me that the bottom corner of the left side middle finger is broken off. Try shifting by moving the stick in the pattern rather than letting it slide left or right.
That corner is not broken off. It was made that way. Why? I don't know. If you start reefn on it when it is stuck in 5th. the little knob that that moves those rails will pop thru that gap and you will be stuck in nutral with the tranny locked in 5th. Had the same problem. Ther are three blocking keys that the shift collars and syncros ride on, held in place with outward pressure from a springy wire ring. If the ring breaks or one of the keys wears and gets jammed your stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those "keys" are the struts I was talking about. One of mine broke
and it would get cocked over when in gear so that the selector ring
wouldn't come out of gear.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had over 200 thousand on mine and I put all but 50 of those on it. So I know how it was drove. With that many miles it was not worth the trouble to fix, just to have something else happen the next week or year. I went with a total rebuild.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I haven't had that problem (yet)... but if you have the transfer case off the back of the tranny it's really easy to get to the 5th gear assembly, and you can take a look at it

I once popped the snap ring off the 5th gear drive gear and lost 5th

my truck has 340,000 kms on it and i'm just replacing the clutch, I could probably use some tranny work bt I'll wait until I have to, I have a spare I can install if necessary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That corner is not broken off. It was made that way. Why? I don't know. If you start reefn on it when it is stuck in 5th. the little knob that that moves those rails will pop thru that gap and you will be stuck in nutral with the tranny locked in 5th. Had the same problem. Ther are three blocking keys that the shift collars and syncros ride on, held in place with outward pressure from a springy wire ring. If the ring breaks or one of the keys wears and gets jammed your stuck.
yes thats whats happinin to mine, the knop is poppin up out of the slots. but I was told either the knob itself is worn out and I can get a new one to fix it, or that the rails are startin to have play in em and that someone makes shims to put on there somehow to keep them from havin any play. Im gonna get it checked out soon and it doesnt sound like it should cost too much or take up too much time.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When I did the exchange for a rebuild the top cover was not included. I put the old one back on and have had no problems. If there is any wear it is usually in the shift forks from driving with your hand on the shifter. The knob on my shifter was shiny with no wear. When I shift in and out of 5th now I don't rush it or push up and over on the shifter at the same time. By the time you need 5th you are pretty much up to speed anyway. No need for speed shifting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.