Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· I want to marry my truck
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have maybe about 700lbs in the back, and the leaf springs are almost completely flat. Is there supposed to be an arch in them, or is it ok if they are flat?

They aren't bottoming out or anything, and there's nothing rubbing or hitting. If they are going bad, should replace them, or just get an add-a-leaf?

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Its up to you really, if they are sagging bad enough to bother you then you might want to look into replacement springs ($$$). an add-a-leaf will help but they are not the greatest option, but on the same note they are worth nothing compared to new springs.

They will sag out over time, heck mine barely have an arch to them without a load, but the truck has spent alot of its life hauling heavy and a fair bit of the time overweight so i dont blame them. Its getting to the point that its starting to bother me when i get a good load on, but thankfully for the truck its not going to be hauling much anytime soon. mine are at the point that they are in need of replacement for safety reasons if im going to haul heavy

You can also try to get a set from a scrapyard, but theirs no telling what kind of condition they will be in (unless they are obviously deformed!)

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Put air bags in it, my truck had them when I got it and they are the . I had 90 cinder block in the bed ( approx 2500lbs+ ) and was towing 2500-3000lbs+ and the truck barely saged maybe like 3 inches tops but it sat just shy of level just a little low. I would recomend them to anybody who tows or loads there truck the way a truck should beable to be loaded

· Registered
9,910 Posts
depends if you want onboard air or not. Just a basic set of bags is fairly cheap, if you want onboard air the price goes to the moon!

IIRC a basic set of bags run around a couple hundred bucks, with a compressor kit your looking to pretty much triple that

· I want to marry my truck
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want some bags, to supplement the springs, I don't mind filling them up every once in a while by hand. I might even get add-a-leafs just to supplement the bags.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Theyre not bad they bolt on the top side of your springs and to the frame and depending on how much you wanna haul depends on the amount of air you need in them. I always just use my compressor at home and fill them when I need them, it takes like 10 seconds and they are full. When Im done i let most of the air back out otherwise it beats the crap outta me when hitting bumps and the truck is empty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.