Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , I realize this question has been coming up for years and there have been millions of replies . I have a 2002 2500 4wd 5.9 cummings with all dreaded 47RE . I bought the truck bran new , it only has 91000 original miles , The truck has never been painted and is absolutly MINT with some performance mods .

So here gose , Its time for a trans replacement , I do not plan on going any higher on HP than maybe 500 HP . Im looking to just do a full replacement / Exchange and new TC . I was planning on going with ATS for a very long time , but after reading all the trans threads for what seems like decades Im back to square one :frown2:

I would like to get every ones opinon on which full exchange trans they recommend ????? ATS has the best hands down warranty going ? And ive heard all the horror stories about how anyone that has had one will never go there again . The thing is some of the threads I have read where some people claim they have had 2 , 3 , even 6 ATS replacement trans covered under warranty but never really exsplain why the 1st or 2nd or whatever trans failed ???????? .

I here a lot of good things about Suncoast , but say there customer service is less than stellar ? I also do not here the best responces about BD transmissions .

Im just like all of you , The best warranty is the one you never have to use . So I guess what im really looking for is opinons on which trans I should go with ? but also the failures you have come across with some of these companies product ??? I realize I need to drop at least 5000.00 on which ever I chose but im hoping for a trans that I can just set it and forget for many many miles ahead .

I do plan on buying a 12000 pound toy hauler this year so I will need a trans thats up to more pulling and towing rather than racing .

HELP PLEASE :surprise::surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
Do what ever you want to pay for. I would just do a standard rebuild of yours with good electronic parts. Maybe upgrade the TC, that is it. 3 grand. These are actually a good trani if maintained and electronics are kept up to date with good part about every 100k. Don;t use the electronics that come on many complete rebuilt valve bodies. Some of them put on cheap junk solenoids.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Big , I am leaning in that direction just so hard to find a good honest trans shop in my area

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I did my trans a few time because as I kept adding more HP it just kept finding the next weakest link. At 600RWHP my truck managed to snap the intermediate shaft. I had enough. I called Dusty at HTS, set up a time when he would be available to do it and trailered it over there. In about 90 minutes he had my trans out of the truck, pulled apart, a pile of broken parts in front of me and sitting in a chair discussing with me of what I want to build. This guy is awesome! He had most of the parts in stock but had to order a few for what I wanted. I didnt want my trans just upgraded fixed. I wanted go big or go home. I already had a BD Black OX billet flex plate and a Suncoast triple disc converter. Dusty customized my VB to shift a lot better and more firm which is what you want, and built my trans with all billet shafts and a lot of other billet parts and heavier/upgraded drums, planetary, etc... He basically told me that my trans will now hold whatever I could throw at it and if I could brake it he would fix it for free. Before I left he took it for a "test drive". He locked it in 4wd, spooled the turbos to about 30psi and let off the brake spinning all 4 tires on pavement leaving a smoke cloud like the Batmobile right in front of his place! He came back about 5 minutes later and said everything was good and shifts very nice. I drove it back home which was like 200 miles and loved every minute.

My advice is to call him and have a conversation of what you want. Have him get all the parts ready, and bring your truck over here to him. He can build it in a day. Then take it for a drive and if you dont like the way it shifts, etc. He can fine tune it from there to your liking. It may cost you a couple of days and a hotel room but you'll be very pleased in the long run. I know I am.

http://www.htstransmissions.com

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Since you live in new york best place close to you to deal with is muldoons in Delaware. If you can do it urself I would go with a 15ss goerend 3disc converter billet input shaft goerend valve body and rebuild kit.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
What is wrong with you current trani making you think you need a new or rebuilt?

·
Registered
424 Posts
What a great question bigfish95971! For what reasons do auto trans need replacing at 91,000 mi? As I said before, I am an auto trans dummy, never owned one in 50+ years.

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
90k should not need more than a solenoid or two under normal use, even reasonable towing.

Reactions: littlebuddie

·
Registered
19,539 Posts
OP has never returned.

Reactions: littlebuddie
1 - 11 of 11 Posts