Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
RC knows his crap, so listen to him, I'm sure he can get you out of high EGT's a lot cheaper than where I'm leading you.

Reactions: 1972RedNeck

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I wouldn't mess with your timing yet....first see if it cools down far enough by advancing your timing to where you are seeing about 40psi

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I wouldn't mess with your timing yet....first see if it cools down far enough by advancing your timing to where you are seeing about 40psi
Huh? Don't mess with the timing but mess with the timing to bring the boost to 40psi?:confused013:

So should I wire the waste gate closed? I still have the stock gasket and head bolts.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So how far can I advance the timing with my injectors?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Advancing your timing lowers egts and boost.

For right now, just raise your boost by tightening your wastegate. Put more of a pre load on your spring gate. It is adjustable right?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Advancing your timing lowers egts and boost.

For right now, just raise your boost by tightening your wastegate. Put more of a pre load on your spring gate. It is adjustable right?
Yup.......

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't explaining things well yesterday. Bosch 190s (if that what they are) have a 155 angle...... these actually make them more efficient in a stock timed engine. They are a perfect towing injector for this reason. As also a towing engine doesn't see a lot of timing added to it. You will probably start spraying outside the bowl at anything over about 1/4" bump. You can tell because with your truck in neutral or park and warmed up..... rev it up slowly to 2500-3000rpms holding it at 2000 and 2500 and wot for 2 or 3 seconds. If it is spraying outside the bowl it will no longer be smooth and start having a very mild almost miss to it. This is from my personal experience with marine injectors when advancing timing.

So, we obviously want to keep your timing as close to stock with optimum performance. You have the spacer so that is the same as giving it about 1/8" bump on the top end. So tighten up your gate til your boost gets to about 40 psi and see what your egts are like then. If still warm bump your timing 1/8" and try it agian.

Let us know.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I raised my boost up to ~38ish psi and bumped the timing. That dropped me down to a max of 1300* on a hard run. I would call that right manageable. I swapped in my M2 pin and now can only hit hit 1400* running hard. I sure do appreciate the help.

Reactions: RCCUMMINS89
21 - 28 of 28 Posts