Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mostly stock truck and I need to change that. It has a 0 fuel plate, super b turbo and 4'' strait pipe. I'm trying to make a game plan on what mods I want to do and what mods I need to do to keep my tranny alive. Its an auto with 90k on it. I need your guys advise on what mods to do. I was thinking 4k governor springs, 60lb valve springs, and injectors. Then vb for the tranny and a tc lock up switch. This truck is my DD and I use it to tow. Also what injectors would you guys recommend? Any input would be appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I cant help you with the auto trans but i can tell you the 4k gsk was one of the best mods i ever did. Im not sure how to link on this stupid app on my phone but do a search for 'beginners thread" if you havent read it already. Lots of good reading in there.
Chris

·
Cummins Nut
1,531 Posts
If you don't keep your engine stock, then your tranny will need to be built pretty good at some point. Your suggested mods will probably be good for a while, but once you start messing with more hp, it doesn't end. I recommend building your trans once for big hp and then modding away as you wish on your own time. A TC lockup switch is definitely a good idea but I doubt a valve body will be enough. As far as injectors go, how aggressive do you want to be? With stock injectors, you can still push 300hp or more (enough to blow that stock trans).

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I have a mostly stock truck and I need to change that. It has a 0 fuel plate, super b turbo and 4'' strait pipe. I'm trying to make a game plan on what mods I want to do and what mods I need to do to keep my tranny alive. Its an auto with 90k on it. I need your guys advise on what mods to do. I was thinking 4k governor springs, 60lb valve springs, and injectors. Then vb for the tranny and a tc lock up switch. This truck is my DD and I use it to tow. Also what injectors would you guys recommend? Any input would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Those are all good ideas. Make sure you get the injectors from a real injector builder, can make a big difference. I would also suggest at minimum a single disc billet TC from DPC. They make a nice reman single for people with a budget. Just getting a TC and valve body, I would not push the transmission past 400HP. Get some 5 x 14 or 5 x 12 and pull the fuel plate back some. Set your charger for about 40 psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put a boost elbow, fuel plate, 4k gsk and bhaf. Made a huge difference.....I did however just blow my stock trans. Like an above poster said... build the trans and mod away. That's what I'm currently about to start. Should give me room for twins and injectors down the road!

·
Cummins Nut
1,531 Posts
Those are all good ideas. Make sure you get the injectors from a real injector builder, can make a big difference. I would also suggest at minimum a single disc billet TC from DPC. They make a nice reman single for people with a budget. Just getting a TC and valve body, I would not push the transmission past 400HP. Get some 5 x 14 or 5 x 12 and pull the fuel plate back some. Set your charger for about 40 psi.

Would you say that DAP is a good place to get injectors?

Also, what are you asking for your twin piping kit and what turbos is it for?

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
Would you say that DAP is a good place to get injectors?

Also, what are you asking for your twin piping kit and what turbos is it for?

Yes I think DAP has some decent injectors. I bought a small set from them and they have been good.

I have the super B with mods and the hot pipe, mount, cold pipe, and intercooler pipe. It's built for a T-6 primary turbo with a v-band discharge comp cover. Or I can modify it a bit to work with something else. I also have the a full marmon 5" flange to make a down pipe with.

PM me for a price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't keep your engine stock, then your tranny will need to be built pretty good at some point. Your suggested mods will probably be good for a while, but once you start messing with more hp, it doesn't end. I recommend building your trans once for big hp and then modding away as you wish on your own time. A TC lockup switch is definitely a good idea but I doubt a valve body will be enough. As far as injectors go, how aggressive do you want to be? With stock injectors, you can still push 300hp or more (enough to blow that stock trans).
So I am new to diesels but not to wrenching I know how everything can snowball. I just bought my first cummins about 6 months ago and I already bought a spare 12v since the price was right. This truck is my DD and tow rig I don't see it getting to crazy I want it to stay street able. As far as injectors my truck has 352k and has the original injectors. From what I have read I could be wrong but they loose "pop" and if an injector fails that could be bad news for your engine. I was thinking preventative maintenance and upgrade at the same time. How do you guys gauge how much HP your making? If you guys could give me a ball park of where I am and where I would be with the above mods I found some tranny threads that suggest what tranny mods you need by HP.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
So I am new to diesels but not to wrenching I know how everything can snowball. I just bought my first cummins about 6 months ago and I already bought a spare 12v since the price was right. This truck is my DD and tow rig I don't see it getting to crazy I want it to stay street able. As far as injectors my truck has 352k and has the original injectors. From what I have read I could be wrong but they loose "pop" and if an injector fails that could be bad news for your engine. I was thinking preventative maintenance and upgrade at the same time. How do you guys gauge how much HP your making? If you guys could give me a ball park of where I am and where I would be with the above mods I found some tranny threads that suggest what tranny mods you need by HP.
Read the beginners thread. Any power increases will push the stock trans beyond its capacity.
It's only rated for 450 ftlbs stock and can't even take that much at times.
It's not really high horsepower that kills it as the stock v10 has 300. It's because the diesel gets it at such low rpm. Low rpm torque.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Read the beginners thread. Any power increases will push the stock trans beyond its capacity.
It's only rated for 450 ftlbs stock and can't even take that much at times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm planning on tranny mods but I'm not trying to spend 6k on a tranny when my tranny will hold up to it with a few mods.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Towing is a whole different ball game. GAUGES I didn't see any in your sig, build a GOOD transmission or you'll be building it again, a few more $$ now can save save a lot later. The first one in my sig is built for towing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Towing is a whole different ball game. GAUGES I didn't see any in your sig, build a GOOD transmission or you'll be building it again, a few more $$ now can save save a lot later. The first one in my sig is built for towing.
I have gauges trans temp, pyro, and boost. My build thread is in my sig you can see exactly what I'm working with. The main reason I have this truck is to tow. My tranny has 90k on it and functions fine I don't see the point in rebuilding the tranny right now if it works I would rather just upgrade it to make it hold up. When the time comes I'll build a stout tranny but I don't have the coin laying around to do that now.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have gauges trans temp, pyro, and boost. My build thread is in my sig you can see exactly what I'm working with. The main reason I have this truck is to tow. My tranny has 90k on it and functions fine I don't see the point in rebuilding the tranny right now if it works I would rather just upgrade it to make it hold up. When the time comes I'll build a stout tranny but I don't have the coin laying around to do that now.
Don't have to rebuild just good tc,valve body and some billit stuff. These engines build a lot of low end tq that will blow through a stock type tc, valve body will increse line pressure to keep from burning clutches and billit struts and anchors help hold the bands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.