Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a '05, I've got it turned up a lil bit. Motor seems to rattle more than it should. It's got 222k miles in it. It had 174k mikes when I got it. I am almost 100% sure it has never had a valve adjustment or injectors. Truck don't white smoke at all. Could the rattle be from the valves and what is the possibility of a injector or two being bad? Also it has a slight miss when idling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
defiantly should do your valves regardless, and might check your tone ring/dampner, and miss not sure on

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Does it knock the same with tuner turned off. You probablly running too high a tune.
If missing, you probablly due some injector repair before a piston galls.
the valve adjustment is needed although doubt will reduce U issue.

·
Registered
805 Posts
get valve lash done and send injectors out to be checked to someone like energy. valves should be done anyway like stated above but there's a good chance you are do for injectors. who knows how much the fuel filters were changed and with what before you purchased. better to spend a few bucks and be safe rather than grenade a very expensive motor. I would at least check you aren't getting fuel in your oil before attempting to start it again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Does it knock the same with tuner turned off. You probablly running too high a tune.
If missing, you probablly due some injector repair before a piston galls.
the valve adjustment is needed although doubt will reduce U issue.

didn't see he had a tuner. definitely return to stock and see if it still misses.

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
Got a '05, I've got it turned up a lil bit. Motor seems to rattle more than it should. It's got 222k miles in it.
Same symptoms I had. Chnaged the injectors and really noticed how loud they had gotten. It is hard to tell injector noise from combustion rattle until you do the swap though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea it still misses with it off. It just misses when it's idling cold or warm. Don't seem like it has lost any power. I work out of state but ill probably try to get it in the shop before to long. Any recommendations on injectors. How many extra horses can I run before needing a fuel pump? And I don't wanna burn my transmission up. I appreciate the help. I've just got to much time and money in it to get rid of it lol

·
Registered
805 Posts
if you don't want to burn transmission up than go with stock sticks or 50hp at most. it a domino affect if you want to go with bigger injectors. first you'll need a trans than more fuel and air. if you don't have a bunch of money laying around to fix things than just get it put back to stock. exergy are suppose to be really good for injectors but who ever you go with make sure they are genuine Bosch injectors not remans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the transmission rebuilt about 2 months ago. He was supposed to build it up some but I really don't trust him after he got it all done. They lied to me several times. I live in Arkansas but I'm in Texas workin so I just had to go with whoever and not many options around here. He supposedly put billet torque converter and clutches and what not in it. I just don't really trust him and I dont have the time to keep in the shop all the time. Money aint really a big factor to me as long as the prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
do not change the fuel filter until the gauge drops to zero under load. stay stock on injectors and get a smarty jr for power. set valve lash first next install better filtering by the tank, you may have a sticky injector causing the miss. I would find the cylinder that has the miss and send it out for repair. with no more miles than that on it I think you just have a binding injector from the dirt through the stock filter.

·
Registered
805 Posts
do not change the fuel filter until the gauge drops to zero under load. stay stock on injectors and get a smarty jr for power. set valve lash first next install better filtering by the tank, you may have a sticky injector causing the miss. I would find the cylinder that has the miss and send it out for repair. with no more miles than that on it I think you just have a binding injector from the dirt through the stock filter.

why do you want filter to be full until you change it. if it drops to zero you are putting strain on cp3.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what I've got on it is a smarty jr. I change the filters often and run marvel or fuel treatment threw it fairly often. I'm gonna try to find a good diesel shop around here to run a overhead on it. I appreciate the help and advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts