Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so from 70+ the truck feels like its running out of fuel and im not seeing any smoke at all from the exhaust when i have it on the floor. does this mean i need more fuel? or is this normal

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Depends on what tune you are running. But, for the record, mine will haze when to the floor at that speed.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Same mine..truck does not smoke at those speeds..the turbo around 10 psi at 70 doesnt take long to light up

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Well, it means you don't have excessive fuel, meaning it's all being burned. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. Now, I've never been in a tuned 6.7, but my 5.9 leaves one heck of a smoke trail; wish I could have it videoed from a plane, I'm sure I could write words doing cookies in a parking lot like those stunt planes.:hehe:

On a stock truck with a heavy program, I'd expect there to be a good bit of smoke on a dig. Are you running the higher program H&S has?

I wish mine burned clean on a dig

·
Registered
291 Posts
The agressive boost shouldn't be an issue up top, in fact it's probably a good deal of the reason that your burning all the fuel and not rollin coal.

What I mean by not that much of an issue is the aggressive boost isn't up top it's down low vs. RPM.

More importantly, what's your rail pressure look like?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think so.

Like has been said get some gauges and report back. Rail pressure could be falling on its face.
I would actually like to see some data on this and this is the perfect oportunity!

Get a rail pressure gauge installed BEFORE the fass system and take a vid of the rail pressure gauge, including the tach if you can, on a wide open run from 10 to 80 mph.

Then install the fass and do the same thing. That will put this argument to rest once and for all!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would actually like to see some data on this and this is the perfect oportunity!

Get a rail pressure gauge installed BEFORE the fass system and take a vid of the rail pressure gauge, including the tach if you can, on a wide open run from 10 to 80 mph.

Then install the fass and do the same thing. That will put this argument to rest once and for all!
I'm not trying to argue. I can see it helping. Reason being the cp3 is getting a better supply of fuel. But, I don't think it'll be a substantial amount.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ill be doing this also...Im going to record today on hot 0-80 to see what my rail is ...

Reactions: Drake_Lawdawg

·
Registered
41 Posts
FYI I run HotDamn w/ATT on Performance (hot) and my rail pressure cannot hold high pressure. When I floor it boost will peak at 31 psi then quickly drop off to about 22-25kpsi. H&S said I needed more fuel to the rail, more than likely the cp3 was being starved.

Reactions: Fenn

·
Registered
291 Posts
FYI I run HotDamn w/ATT on Performance (hot) and my rail pressure cannot hold high pressure. When I floor it boost will peak at 31 psi then quickly drop off to about 22-25kpsi. H&S said I needed more fuel to the rail, more than likely the cp3 was being starved.
Do you mean rail peaks at 31kPsi? if so your relief valve may be opening and I think they have to go back to 13K to "reset" (info from Shane at Motorsport) 22 is low, 25 is more than fine...all about how fast it gets there and whether it stays there.

For ref. my rail was 24-ish on a bone stock fuel system and H&S's hot tune. I tune myself now and my fuel system isn't stock so my truck is a bad test mule for this experiment...wish I had been paying attention to all the info along the way as I built the truck though. Here's a good chance to pick up what I missed:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts