Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got my good ol' 1991 CTD, non I/C and i have a problem, i have this nice 5-inch side pipe, but all i can manage is this cute little puff of smoke when i stomp on it from a dead stop, i have the fuel pin turned about 90 degrees and the star wheel turned down two full turns, anything else i can do to get some nice thick smoke?:woot:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any recommendations for a good set of injectors? i have all the guages to moniter all of this, new coolant temp, turbo boost, pyrometer, and trans temp, so thats all taken care of. but fuel mileage is still a priority here so i cant go too extreme, now, can i use the HX35 off of a 94-up CTD and all the intercooler piping for it to convert mine to an intercooled engine?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
talk to richard at Coaltrain, 1-734-673-4867
he did my turbo with Mark, I don't know that much about the different turbos or injectors but they had a set cheap for an earlier model a while back that were 400hp.

·
Registered
661 Posts
any recommendations for a good set of injectors? i have all the guages to moniter all of this, new coolant temp, turbo boost, pyrometer, and trans temp, so thats all taken care of. but fuel mileage is still a priority here so i cant go too extreme, now, can i use the HX35 off of a 94-up CTD and all the intercooler piping for it to convert mine to an intercooled engine?
turn up the full fuel screw this is where it adds the power and yes you can put on a hx35 and intercooler just have to do some moding and cuting check out new era diesel the have some good injectors for the 1st gens

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Fuel screw. There's a LOT left in the stock injectors if you turn the fuel screw. Stock the truck puts out 130, with the fuel screw the stock injectors can put out 300...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Remove the afc entirley and max out the fuel screw and drive it eassy. When you want to black out 3 lanes just floor it. To get the most out of the fuel screw you'll probably need to reindex the throttle.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stupid question, what is this AFC of which you speak?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Turn the lower pressure screw anaroid thingy down all the way for some good low rpm smoke.

Also, take your fuel pin out and look at it. Rarely are they positioned where they are supposed to be. So you can't just turn in X degrees. Put the deepest part of the pin facing the needle that rides on it.

I personally maxed my star wheel all the way out.

If you want some smoke POD injectors would be a good choice :thumbsup

Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I get a good black cloud at hit with stock non i/c injectors. The non i/c 9mm injector is a fairly big injector compared to the later factory i/c injectors. I agree that not all fuel pins were set at a certain clock position. Mine was about 15 to 20 degrees from deepest part. You got to look for deepest part of the cone.

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ that is the part i took off to turn the fuel pin, i also turned my star wheel all the way down instead of partway, i get quite a bit more smoke now, i'll continue adjustments though:lol3:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My truck smokes alot just with the AFC spring removed,fuel pin rotated 90* and the fuel screw turned in about 4.5 turns.Here is a pic of the truck at the track launching at about 2psi of boost:cool:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My truck smokes alot just with the AFC spring removed,fuel pin rotated 90* and the fuel screw turned in about 4.5 turns.Here is a pic of the truck at the track launching at about 2psi of boost:cool:

WOW!!! that would fill up them little fart can ricers all right!:lol3::woot::peelout

·
Registered
311 Posts
^ that is the part i took off to turn the fuel pin, i also turned my star wheel all the way down instead of partway, i get quite a bit more smoke now, i'll continue adjustments though:lol3:
That is correct, the fuel pin is right under the screw I'm talking about. That rubber skirt around the fuel pin is what makes the seal for the manifold pressure. The higher the pressure, the more that fuel pin gets pushed down. By turning down the low pressure boost screw you push the fuel pin down further no matter how much boost your at.

Does that make sense?

Chris

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes, it makes perfect sense now, so, what would happen if i were to take the spring OUT? just curious.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think its worth a try, im gonna pull it out, i'll let ya'll know what i think:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts