Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just bought my first Cummins. It is completely stock as far as I know. 2500SLT 5.9l Mega Cab w/ 6 speed manual trans. It has 25k on it and I am averaging a little over 18 mpg. I pulled my 30ft travel trailer(considered an ultralite model) this past weekend and I only got 10ish. Does this sound normal? Any and all input will be appreciated. I am eager to learn more about my truck.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sounds close. I get 20 on the highway @ 65mph. With my GN trailer (7000# empty) it drops to about 13 or so mpg. The travel trailer will buck alot more wind causing your mpg to be less. Also depends where you pulled it. Mountains, flats, etc. But the big one is staying at or below 65 mph or so. As soon as I hit about 68 and above, it starts to drop in a hurry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am considering putting what is called a "chip" and cold air on my truck. It is all it is cracked up to be? Also, does it have anything to do with my rearend gear?

·
Registered
716 Posts
if you think your truck runs good now, just wait until you put on a chip or programmer. it will be a night and day difference.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i personally think hands down....we have the best truck out there. I went from los angeles up to Pismo beach this weekend pulling a 12000lbs trailer(rockwood) and averaged about 12.4mpg. and thats with an auto. if i could take it back, i would love to have bought a manual.
like some1 said b4....if you go over 65mph, thats when you see your mpgs go bye bye. good luck
and yeah those upgrades are all worth it.
Id start with a CAI(cold air intake), then exhaust, then chip, then tranny.:thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts