Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 96 12 valve with 4k gsk and a ground and slid plate in future might advance timing what kind of clutch should I run? All I really plan on doing to motor performance wise

·
Registered
378 Posts
I went with a Valair DD 3800# plate. I will daily the truck as well, want around 450WHP. Won't pull often at all, maybe my car once in a while. I need to install it asap :cool:

Working with Valair has been awesome, they are great! They got me squared away quick.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I had a 13 inch single disk clutch from Valair rated at 400 hp and it was nice. It was a little bit more aggressive than the stock clutch, but not bad at all. Much more drivable than the 500 hp single disk I have now. That 400 hp single disk or something similar should be a good match for your setup. It may be a little much, but it's better have a little room to grow than not enough. I ended up overpowering that 400 hp clutch and had to buy the 500 hp clutch I have now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ill be in the market very soon as well. Im most definetely gonna buy valair. Never spoken with them personally but they recieve such high praise and seem to be great people to deal with.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
I'm going Valair. I'll be getting a dual this summer hopefully. Probably never put any other clutch in the trucks I own lol. Love my single disk. Valair1 (dan) is an awesome guy, helped me a lot when I had problems with a messed up flywheel I got from a friend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a organic not a ceramic I ing hate my ceramic it ruined the truck it is just stupid there might as well be a on off switch on the dash. As soon as I can I'm going to buy the organic disk.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
Full ceramics are grabby. Kevlar/ceramic..not to bad. It takes some getting used to but it isn't bad. My gf can drive it so I think everyone in here could lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you're going single then yes, the ceramics are grabby. Dual disc though, the ceramic is very smooth once broke in, much smoother than I expected.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
If you're going single then yes, the ceramics are grabby. Dual disc though, the ceramic is very smooth once broke in, much smoother than I expected.
How quick can you shift compared to stock? And did you debur and graphite the input

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
It shifts much slower than stock, I was very surprised how much it affected the shifting speed. I think my worst is 1st to 2nd, after that they all shift faster but still annoyingly slow when you're trying to go fast. But I plan to end up with 650-700hp and this clutch should hold it, so I'll sacrifice shift speed for that. I did debur it but when I was putting it back together I didn't have any graphite and it was about to rain so I skipped that part. I'm not sure it'd make much difference anyway when I shift I'm waiting for the syncros to jive, not for the clutch to move.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Fast shifts destroy synchros!

I'm a big fan of my Valair 13" Kevlar/Ceramic. Dan and his guys are great to deal with.

Reactions: NC Firefighter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the help guys! i think ill be going with a single disk ceramic i drove one today with one it felt pretty smooth to me truck was almost exactly like mine except for timing advance

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Fast shifts destroy synchros!

I'm a big fan of my Valair 13" Kevlar/Ceramic. Dan and his guys are great to deal with.
:agree2: I hardly ever try to shift fast because of that. Most of the time it's clutch in, pull it out of gear, put pressure on the next gear and wait for it to slide in on it's own. Only time it ever gets forced at all is if I'm racing somebody. Which is not all that often honestly.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
Oh I know. I'm talking racing someone can you make it shift quick. I don't mind the slow shifts puting around town. But if it comes down to it id like it to be able to go and not have to be delayed terribly by shifts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Oh I know. I'm talking racing someone can you make it shift quick. I don't mind the slow shifts puting around town. But if it comes down to it id like it to be able to go and not have to be delayed terribly by shifts

With practice I've got to where I can shift it pretty quick, but still nothing like I could stock. I've found if racing from a full stop, basically they win until I can get into third, then I can start to actually go fast. For one, it revs out so fast in 1st and 2nd I just can't get very far in each gear, and also since there's not much load I don't build very much boost. Secondly, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are slow shifts. (Probably my trans I don't see how it could be clutch related.) 3rd to 4th is pretty instant, and 4th to 5th is pretty fast too. I will say shifting fast feels horrible. In the higher gears it does go in pretty quick but it feels like I'm having to force it way too hard. I'm sure my syncros hate me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.