Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some HELP!! I have an 06 cummins 2500 longbed. the truck is almost stock besides an mbrp and k&n! i want to get a chip but need help on finding a stock tranny safe tunner!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 05 6 speed and if you add any chip you can count on getting some slip and eventually a new clutch. Especially if you pull much of anything. I run a triple dog and have been happy since I went with new southbend DD clutch mbrp 5 in turbo back

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I need some HELP!! I have an 06 cummins 2500 longbed. the truck is almost stock besides an mbrp and k&n! i want to get a chip but need help on finding a stock tranny safe tunner!!!!
That tuner doesn't exist. Even a small tuner over time is going to shorten the life of your tranny. Best way to keep your tranny safe is to leave it stock........

I'd be more worried about the K&N myself.............

Randy

Reactions: heathm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yup, ditch the K&N, and save 6000 for a built transmission. THEN get your tuner. Youll thank me later. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oh and Welcome to the forum. Where are you from and fill out your signature with what your truck is. Itll help us identify your needs in the future.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
If you put a tuner on you are just asking for more trouble and headaches. Do what the others are saying and DITCH the K&N, and get a built trans first. You will be more pissed about having a broken truck cause you wanted to be cheap and not get the essentials done first. If you want to play you have to pay :$:

:welcome:

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
save 6000 for a built transmission. Youll thank me later. :)
These type of comments make me laugh,while they scare a lot of people off. You don't need a 6000 dollar trans ever. You can run a lot of power with some basic trans work. You can also get a full billet trans for well under $6K. Read a bunch on this site and use the search function. Someone has built a truck that will do what you want, and if you find the right people you can do it cheaper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
First let me say i'm not a trans guru nor do i claim to be, i've just been down this road already..I don't think you need an all billet trans to run a tuner, but some work to make it live would be a good idea. I think that running any moderate to aggressive tune on a stock trans and expecting it to live is foolish..it won't.. Of course your driving style and how you use your truck will make a 1000% difference in determining exactly what mods you need. My ol man could probably run Smarty TNT forever on a stock trans because he drives like an old man. Now i would bbq that trans doing 4wd boost launches racing mustangs, imports ect.. The bottom line is your right foot determines what mods you need, but make no mistake, trans work isn't cheap at all. Maybe an all billet trans could be had for under 6,000.. but you'll also need a good converter 800-1300, billet flex plate 400-450 ect.. it gets expensive quickly. If i was gonna do a minimal upgrade I think i'd do a good triple disk converter, a valve body(some just do a shift kit), upgraded bands, band strut/anchor, kol steels, red frictions and a deep pan. That would be pretty good as long as you don't do crazy high boosted 4wd launches. That wouldn't be to expensive assuming your trans doesn't need a rebuild and your gonna R&R the trans yourself. I don't think anyone on here is trying to steer you wrong. I think with trans work it's good to get as much as you can afford. Here's a good example.. I'm running about 43-44 lbs of boost on stock head bolts..Do i need studs ? I guess i don't cause i haven't blown a head gasket yet.. but it sure would be nice to have them for added peace of mind... As always just my opinion..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the tips! what kind of intake should i get the k&n was on the truck when i bought it!! im thinking about an afe!!!!! and would something like a edge millagemax hurt my truck? it gives the truck about 35 hp

·
Registered
561 Posts
thanks for the tips! what kind of intake should i get the k&n was on the truck when i bought it!! im thinking about an afe!!!!! and would something like a edge millagemax hurt my truck? it gives the truck about 35 hp
Mileage max will only hurt your truck if you mash the skinny pedal often like said above.

The stock intake is great, truely pulls cold air and is the best filtration system. once you hit 500hp look for intake. you can do a torque tube (Home Depot, Lowes) and Silincer ring MIA since it sounds like you want something like that.

also i would first get a 2-5 micron fuel filtering canister/system before spending dough on programmers, save injectors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts