Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i just instaled a torque converter and valve body on my truck. didnt seem to run into any problems, untill i went to drive it. i let the truck idle for a wile in neutral and as soon as i went to put it in drive or reverse the truck dies. the torque converter is locked, but why and how do i fix it or whats wrong..

·
Registered
41 Posts
man that sucks! i'm hoping to do the same upgrade soon reckon its tire down & scratch your head time let us know what you find wish you luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dude, it's cuz you don't have twins, not enough power... haha.. i'm tellin' ya dude, i'd check about a lockup solenoid or something of that nature, i don't know exactly how you dodge boy's trans' work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
rev it real high then put it in gear...

hopefully the RPM's will be up high enough to not let the truck die.

Really tho, i dont really know

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
sound like there is something wrong with the lock-up solinoid inside the transmission

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
sound like there is something wrong with the lock-up solinoid inside the transmission
i agree with him, lock up solenoid is bad, it should never be locked out of gear, nor in low gears, it usually will lock around 3rd...

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Did this valve body come with some way to fool the PCM? Transistor or box? Sounds like a short to ground. This will lockup the torque converter.

Do you have a lockup switch. Is it on?

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
then if i were to unplug the lockup relay under the hood, technicaly the converter shouldent lock at all right?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts
then if i were to unplug the lockup relay under the hood, technicaly the converter shouldent lock at all right?
But as far as I understand it will start out in 2rd gear... But yes it would remain unlocked... (42RE Gasser)

This tidbit is what I learn on my mom's truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you guys are a bunch of copy cats... jeeze...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 96 do about the same thing your talkin about. Sometimes you'd put it in drive and it'd be fine, other times you'd put it in and the TC'd be locked. :doh: Couldn't figure it out till the alternator finally went to hell. Got a new one in with new batteries, cured it. :confused013: Apparantly it had some sort of a low voltage problem. I don't know if this helps at all but that's my .02

--------------------------------------
97 2500 Stock Plate FF AFC Gutted BHAF Glowshift Manifold Pyro & Tranny Temp gauges 3" Straight Pipe TC Lockup Stock TC and Tranny but not for long :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts