Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im confused , i bought a 08 6.7 and im trying to get more power out of it but i look at all these threads and see mixed feelings about all these tuners. Some people tell me smartys are good and other people say they suck and throw codes all day long...then i start looking at the edge juice with attitude and then people tell me they suck too...????? is there any possible way to get more power out of my truck without having all these complications???? I mean jeezz cant things be a little big easier like pluggin the dam thing in and having it work without all the problems? or should i just go with an mp-8 and a monitor to get more power...im clueless..:( im going to do the dpf delete to so any help would be appreciated ...

thanks

· Registered
2,185 Posts
I have the edge, it doesn't suck. I have never had any problems with it in 14k miles. However, with it you will need to run DPF sims. I have the XRT coming in next week. You don't need sims with it, but it's cheaper to get a used edge than an XRT. The XRT makes more power than the Edge, but with EDGE you get a good set of gauges. Smarty is about the same power wise as the XRT, but I have heard more bad than good about them. Once, my XRT comes in, hopefully Wed, I'll make you a good deal on an edge with the pillar mount. Good luck in your decision!

· Registered
5,315 Posts
FWIW Im sending back my Smarty next week and depending on the release date Im going with the minimaxx or just the XRT. The reason Im sending it back is as you said in your post. You plug it in and dont have to worry about downloading anything(except new versions) no simms to worry about and from what I hear on the forum here you take it out of the box and plug it in and it JUST WORKS and works very well. I WAS a diehard SMARTY fan and Im sure they will work out the kinks but for now for me its H&S

· In Memoriam
3,718 Posts
never had any problems with my smarty never has thrown one code at all. I think it really depends on the truck. These 6.7s are a totally different beast.

· 700hp Club
2,197 Posts
I had an edge in mine the day i picked the truck up at the dealer, year and a half and never had any trouble with it, i just went to the xrt for the power and the ability to run an aftermarket turbo.

· Unreconstructed
24,949 Posts
Go with H&S Performance.

It doesn't matter if you go with the XRT, the Mini-Maxx, Black-Maxx, etc...

They are all excellent tuners and you will enjoy them thoroughly.

I was also a big Smarty fan from previous 5.9 ownership....However, I decided to go with the XRT for my 6.7, and I've never been happier.

I know I made the right decision for me. Oh, and my dad has and XRT on his 6.7, too...And he loves it!

The MPG gain is well-worth it, too!

Good luck on your decision.

If you need a guy who will give you a truly unbiased opinion of what would be best for you...Call my buddy James @ Rollin' Smoke Diesel and talk to him. He knows his stuff.

His info is : James @ Rollin' Smoke Diesel - (219) 851-1195

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right on thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it ...i think im going to go with the edge just because i dont really need that much power and i dont have much coin these days haha anyways 08 black cummins do you have the edge juice with attitude? im new to this kind of stuff and im just wondering if you have the whole set up up the chip and monitor? and that would be great if you could sell me yours !! aslong as its in decent shape...please get back to me on that ...

· Registered
184 Posts
I gotta say I've been running an edge juice with attitude HOT ... but today I installed an H&S XRT and wow!! It is alot better ... I turned my Edge down to zero and my XRT up to 175hp I really feel a huge power increase ... also I can blow smoke all over the place now ... I've never tried the smarty ... but I gotta say the XRT is great and simple to use .. btw thanks Keven K2

· Registered
2,185 Posts
right on thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it ...i think im going to go with the edge just because i dont really need that much power and i dont have much coin these days haha anyways 08 black cummins do you have the edge juice with attitude? im new to this kind of stuff and im just wondering if you have the whole set up up the chip and monitor? and that would be great if you could sell me yours !! aslong as its in decent shape...please get back to me on that ...

PM Sent:thumbsup:

· Registered
184 Posts
I might be mistaken but I think the edge juice with attitude with hot unlock is 120hp? maybe it is 100hp? but whatever even when I turned the XRT down to 120hp it felt much stronger

· Registered
134 Posts
You have to figure out what you want for an end result. Do you want 50hp over stock and better mpg's, or do you want 200hp over stock and a new trans etc. I want 30-50hp over stock and better mpg's. I have a smarty and would not trade it for another tuner. It fits my program.

· 700hp Club
2,197 Posts
Hot edge is 100hp, edge messes with timing and duration. The XRT does those plus rail pressure and boost fooling, that is why it seems so much more. The XRT is the best unit out right now for the 6.7's but you have to buy gauges, when the monitors come out from H&S, then you will be VERY hard pressed to beat them. When my turbo comes in this week, that should supply enough air to balance out my over fueling. :drool2:

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Hot edge is 100hp, edge messes with timing and duration. The XRT does those plus rail pressure and boost fooling, that is why it seems so much more. The XRT is the best unit out right now for the 6.7's but you have to buy gauges, when the monitors come out from H&S, then you will be VERY hard pressed to beat them. When my turbo comes in this week, that should supply enough air to balance out my over fueling. :drool2:
:ditto:

Comparing an Edge to an XRT or Smarty is apples to oranges. They are designed for two totally different buyers.

No doubt the XRT and Smarty are the two most powerful tuners we have. But they aren't for everyone.

And I agree, once H&S has the guages available, it'll be hands down, the most practical, user-friendly and powerful tuner on the market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.