Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat has an old coupler that binds up making it hard to get onto the ball. The boat and trailer is around 5500 lbs.. I have put on a coupler before on another boat, being straight trailer it was as easy as pulling off the old coupler and drilling a new hole to fit the new coupler.

With this trailer there is a brake setup that complicates things.

Do I need to buy a coupler that has the brakes unit built in?

Should I upgrade to a larger ball coupler?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,864 Posts
Those type of latches are horrible and I wouldnt trust them. You can buy new couplers with brake system for reasonable prices. I just did on my boat a couple years ago. There's probably a "standard" to the bolt hole configuration too so maybe it wont involve drilling. Check with https://www.etrailer.com/ They usually have what I'm looking for and they have techs you can call too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If your coupler size is 2”, I would go to a 2-5/8” since it is easier finding balls rated over 5000 lbs in that size.

I have not heard of people moving over the old surge brake to a new coupler and you will need disconnect it at the hydraulic lines. This is a good time to flush your lines and calipers of old fluid and fill the new coupler fresh fluid since you have to bleed the system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts