Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a smoke switch a month ago. I tapped the 2 appropriate wires on the factory map harness and ran then to a toggle with a 10ohm resistor in line.
The switch works like you wouldnt belive. My rig smokes like a pro sled puller when i get on it since installing the swiitch.
About two weeks ago i turned the toggle swith off for the first time and I got a CEL and limp mode instantly. I got it home and disconnected the batteries and pulled the PCM fuse for about 3 hrs to try and clear the codes .
That didnt work. So I drove the truck in limp for about 4 days. In town and on the highway and that didnt fix it. So i took the truck to Autozone to get them to clear the codes. All the codes cleared except the one for the MAP sensor, I cant remember the number. We tried a few times but every time i started the CEL would come right back on. We did this with the switch off. So then i turned the switch on and had the guy clear the codes and the CEL stayed off and the truck came out of limp mode. So now I have to run with my smoke switch on all the time or else Ill get limp mode.
Does anyone have any ideas why.
Also Since doing this mod my engine fan seems to always be on and thats annoying also. My buddie did the same mod to his 03 and his engine fan always seems to be on now too.
Does the Map sensor have anything to do with the fan coming on??

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kinda what i was thinkin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Try cleaning your map sensor. It could be soot fouled. :peelout

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if my map was bad would my edge juice with attitude still display boost? I thought the edge read boost from the map?

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A "smoke switch" is most commonly a toggle switch placed in the cab. When the toggle is switched to the on position it sends a signal to the PCM telling it that the engine is under full boost, or a nearly full boost, and this makes the PCM deliver the maximum amount fuel for any given rpm. The result is tons of rolling black smoke at the flip of a switch. Good for tail-gaters and Hondas.

The typical wiring of a smoke switch is simply tapping the 5v signal wire of the MAP sensor and running a wire from it to a toggle in the cab. The other end of the toggle is ran back to the MAP sensor and tapped into the data wire of the sensor.

A common practice is to wire a 5-30 ohm resistor inline anywhere in the circuit to prevent a CEL.

G

·
A "smoke switch" is most commonly a toggle switch placed in the cab. When the toggle is switched to the on position it sends a signal to the PCM telling it that the engine is under full boost, or a nearly full boost, and this makes the PCM deliver the maximum amount fuel for any given rpm. The result is tons of rolling black smoke at the flip of a switch. Good for tail-gaters and Hondas.

The typical wiring of a smoke switch is simply tapping the 5v signal wire of the MAP sensor and running a wire from it to a toggle in the cab. The other end of the toggle is ran back to the MAP sensor and tapped into the data wire of the sensor.

A common practice is to wire a 5-30 ohm resistor inline anywhere in the circuit to prevent a CEL.

Ahh OK Thanks BK. I kinda thought that's what it was, but wanted to be sure. I can see no useful purpose other then our version of road rage. Smother them. :rof

1 - 8 of 8 Posts