Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished replacing the p/s pump and gear. I've got everything back together and completed the procedure the service manual says for initial operation (which I assume is for getting the air out). Took the truck for a test drive and the steering seems harder than before and the pump whines pretty good while turning at low rpms. Also, when the truck is parked at idle, I can only turn the wheel very little and it will not go any further. The hydraboost also seems to be getting real hot. Did I get a bum pump or is there still air in the system? Please help!

LJ

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Wierd man...I have exactly the same problem...just put in a new p/s gear this afternoon and after all the bleeding I have found that I can turn it one way just fine and the other way is very hard and it makes the whinning sound just the same...I wonder if maybe we both still have a lot of air in the system to bleed yet? I guess, did you keep turning it from one side to the other...it siad not to in the book, but I found that mine got a little better when I went from one stop to the other. Also, make sure you have fluid in there..mine wouldn't turn at all and got really loud when it was very low on the ps fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did the lock to lock with the motor off and my fluid level went down and I could see air bubbles. I topped it back off and then cranked the motor up and did some more turns. All of this was with the front end on jack stands. When I drove it, the steering wasn't as good as before (with the old pump) and wouldn't hardly turn at all when truck was stopped and idling. Checked the fluid level and its fine. I just don't remember the hydraboost and metal hose fittings getting that hot that fast either.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Strange, I also did mine and the steering is horrible. Hard to turn the wheel if I am standing still and idling. How do you bleed the power steering?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
You just take it from one stop to the other...hard left to hard right a couple times and that forces the air bubles out of the lines

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried that several times and the steering still sucks. I don't know what to try now. Should I crack the return line at the back of the pump reservoir (fitting closest to the engine block) and turn the wheel to bleed the system. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
yeah i'm not sure...i've also done that many times and mine still sucks too...but hey, give it atry and if it works and fixes it let me know so i can do it too.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Strange...

I change my P/S fluid just about every year. I've never had any problems...

1. Disconnect the return line and relocate to a waste container.
2. Plug the fitting on the pump the hose was removed from.
3. Start truck and rock steering wheel left to right. This step is very short as the pump will empty in about 2 seconds. (shutdown when empty)
4. Reload and pump out 3 more times. (Usually clear by 2 rounds)
5. Re-hook return hose and fill with P/S fluid. Start and purge the air from the system.
6. Shutdown a check fluid level...

I've done this 5 times now and never had any issues as of yet from my steering or brakes... Dodge dealers suggest P/S fluid changes every 30K miles (I do mine when the fluid darkens)....:w:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the truck to the dealership today to have them check it out and they said the pump wasn't putting out good pressure. I guess I got a bum remanufactured pump. I've got a new one on the way so hopefully I'll be back in business in a few days. By the way, just out of curiosity I got a price quote from the dealer for the pump replacement. They said $600 with a new pump. YIKES!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I took the truck to the dealership today to have them check it out and they said the pump wasn't putting out good pressure. I guess I got a bum remanufactured pump. I've got a new one on the way so hopefully I'll be back in business in a few days. By the way, just out of curiosity I got a price quote from the dealer for the pump replacement. They said $600 with a new pump. YIKES!
Go to rockauto.com they have them there for a lot cheaper.:thumbsup

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have had this problem before with autozone pumps on a few high mileage vehicles i have owned. The last one was a mustang that was giving me a headache. I replaced the pump and delt with the whine for months till it started leaking. When it started leaking i decided to just rebuild it and save the cash. The whining stopped. Later i took a look at the old seals and there was a crack in one causing it draw air and eventually leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts