Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2008 6.7 cummins and I have been having problems with it. So far when I am in park and I idle between 1000 rpm's and 2000 rpm's the motor surges. Any higher or lower rpm's it runs normal.

Second problem is when I start it to warm it up, it seems like the power is dying. The battery gauge drops the instrument lights get dim, and the fan for the defrost slows down. Then it all picks back up and runs normal. The motor doesn't run any different, and the tach needle doesn't move.

Third thing is the check engine light is on, would this be because of the problem I am having with the electrical power? or something else.

My friend told me that this stuff could be happening because the previous owner could have had it chipped and now that they took the chip out the system might not be right. Would I have to go to a dealer and have it all flushed?

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
idle up n down when cold is grid heater that's normal

Reactions: itsabeast

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Ok first off while its warming up the grid heater is kicking in causing a power drop. The surge could be a sticking egr valve or something like that. If you live near pittsburgh i got a solus to hook up to it. If not go to autozone which is free or take a trip to dodge or cummins so they can see what the code is for you which is probably the surge issue

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its almost like it sounds like it is red lined, or the governor is kicking in.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
Its almost like it sounds like it is red lined, or the governor is kicking in.
Like i said man check for the codes. EGR valve can cause that issue

Reactions: Matty1224

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
If its a 2008 do the key trick to get the codes that are causing the cel.

·
Tech support junkie
4,986 Posts
If its a 2008 do the key trick to get the codes that are causing the cel.
Good idea man forgot about that. H&S performance website has the way to do it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, I just checked it out and I'll give it a try when I get home. Hopefully it saves me a trip to the dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts