Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 4x4, auto, w/4'' resonator delete exhaust and a k&n filter. Im averaging 14-14.5 mpg and I keep getting conflicting reports. Some say I should be getting 16-18 in town, and some say this is all I should expect. I need some real answers before I have to sell my truck with fuel getting so high. Can anyone help??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im sure most people agee that you COULD get closer 20mpg, a chip and a cold air intake will help you, take that K&N and throw it away, the easier the engine can breathe, the better you mpg will get, my 91 gets 22mpg on the highway and 19-20 in town but its not even the same truck you have,:lol3: i'm sure others will be piping in with other ideas. good luck though:popcorn:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i keep hearing. The only problem is, with fuel going up constantly, its kinda cutting into the tuner/chip budget.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And what filter should I use if not the K&N??

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cold air intake, I like the AFE dry filters but everyone has a different opinion. I had the AFE stage 2, 5" exhaust and an edge drag comp on my 99 manual trans and it got 22-25

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Cold air intake, I like the AFE dry filters but everyone has a different opinion. I had the AFE stage 2, 5" exhaust and an edge drag comp on my 99 manual trans and it got 22-25
:agree2:
i've also heard the tru-flow is a good filter

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, Ill check those filters out. Anybody have any ideas if there could be a problem somewhere other than needing mods?? I keep all fluids and filters changed regularly and just ran the overhead about 1500mi ago. Ive also checked all of my charge-air plumbing and connections. I didnt find enough of a pressure loss to warrant the low mileage. Everyone Ive talked to who hasa 2nd gen truck like mine says I should be getting much better with no mods except exhaust.

·
New England Chapter VP
150 Posts
i got 14.7 with a stock truck with 4.10's and 235/85/16. I put a smarty (that i run on 9 all day long), BHAF, 4'' cool duals turbo back and 285/75/16 and i get 18.6 at LEAST driving liek a dick in the city smoking. i usually get 20+. On a recent trip to vt, mirrors in, 2k rpm cruise, smarty on fuel saver i got 26.3 somehow... I put 16 gal in it when i got home after 422 miles. do the math! my bio costs me about a buck a gallon to make as well, really cheap trip :-D. At 85 towing a 89 straight axle yota on 38's adn 7'' i got 15.3 mpg in the early spring when it was half snowing/raining

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have an '01 pretty similar to yours except I have the K&N intake and manual tranny. I see around 18-20 with a little of intown and highway driving.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I have an 01 4x4, auto, w/4'' resonator delete exhaust and a k&n filter. Im averaging 14-14.5 mpg and I keep getting conflicting reports. Some say I should be getting 16-18 in town, and some say this is all I should expect. I need some real answers before I have to sell my truck with fuel getting so high. Can anyone help??
Here you go... This is what I would suggest... I'm getting 21-22 MPG with mixed city and highway driving...

Check over my BOMBs
BOMB's

Then check over my Tips & Tricks
Tips & Tricks

Then Go to my MPG write up.
Better MPG's

That how I get my great MPG's in my signature! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i usually see around 18-19 on the interstate and that was with 6000 miles on my oil:thud::thud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts