Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 cummins and last week my intake heater stop working:CRY:, i notice that my wait to start light goes off fast even if it's cold, on the mornings it's hard to start and i also dont have power on my intake heater, i tough that was my heater realey but i replaced it today and still the same, what else i have to look for? please help.

·
Registered
540 Posts
One of your temp sensors could be malfunctioning, worse comes to worse run a relay into the cab to a switch, send it back out to the heater core.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check the ground, that was what was faulty on mine. Wanna sell your old one?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It's grounded right at the heater itself to one of the bolts that hold it in place. That happened to mine also. Just had to tighten the crimp after I found it.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Ummm... Mine are disconnected and will remain disconnected till wintertime (Temps below 30*F)...

I'm still getting temps as low as 35-40*F in the mornings. Starts easy everytime...

So I would say you got a fuel pump problem...

As for the grid heater they are controlled by the IAT sensor. If the temp is above 60*F grid heater are disabled.

Check for error codes... There is error codes for the grid heater. Check the fusable link as well. If you had a ScanGauge II you could check for error codes and the IAT sensore all in one shot...

OBD II Error Codes

IAT Sensor Cleaning

Lift Pump Diagnostics

ScanGauge II

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
My bet is on IAT sensor as well. If the grid heater isn't working, the light will still stay on, assuming of course you are below 60*...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in the mountains of CO and every morning here it's 30F-40F, tonight we suppost to have a light snow. i check the 4 litle wires that are in the heater intake, red and yellow wires have power when i turn the key on and stay's on all the time, the other 2 black have ground.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I live in the mountains of CO and every morning here it's 30F-40F, tonight we suppost to have a light snow. i check the 4 litle wires that are in the heater intake, red and yellow wires have power when i turn the key on and stay's on all the time, the other 2 black have ground.
Ok... Your going to has the 2 light gauge leads.

1. (Black/Tan) Lead will be +12V constant
2. (Orange/Black and Yellow/Black)Lead will be ground but controlled by the ECM. (Switch on and off)

Pretty simple really...:w:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
So is there power getting to the grid heaters??? If not the relays are shot...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no power on the grid heaters, i have ground on the two litle black wires from the relay, and i have low voltage on the orange and yellow ( dont know how much voltage is, i just test it with a light tester but looks like real low voltage)

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
So the two relay are dead... Go buy a couple of cheap Ford starter relays and hoook them in and the grid heaters will work... The Dodge might surprise you they are spendy...:$:

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
you can test the relays with a 9v battery, drop it across the winding terminals (30 and 87 IIRC) if it clicks the winding side of the relay is good (relay is then 99% good) to test the high load side use an ohm meter on the 85 and 86 terminals, when the relay clicks you should have continuity showing on the meter.

relays dont usually go bad, though it does happen.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
relays dont usually go bad, though it does happen.
Yes, they do occasionally. :thud: Had one go bad on our Durango last summer. Wife calls from work about noon. Says my battery is dead. Few questions later I find out the electric fan never shut off. Drove over and jump started it. After I got it charged up shut it down and fan won't shut off. Pulled relay and problem solved. Which reminds me, I need to replace it now that summer is coming on. Summer????????? We got no stinking summer here. Raining most of the day and SNOW in the mountain passes at about 3,200' or so. I think this might be latest ever recorded. :CRY::CRY::CRY: Skiers are having a blast. Saw on the news one gal actually flew here from AZ I think to ski Hood. :hyper::hyper::thumbsup:$:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just replace the relay from the dealer, What should i do? get another one or get a ford one? by the way how do you conect a ford on a dodge?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

Hook it up the same way...

Grid heater leads on the large terminals and the small lead plug right on the small terminals...:thumbsup

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
What's S and I? also from what caen of car came off?

This is a common ford solenoid. Its on most Ford pickups (Ford Rangers, Ford F-150 trucks , etc)

The to large terminal take the heavy gauge cables... And the small little one go on the S and I terminals...

S & I doesn't really matter... It was a pic I found on the web... As a matter of fact we use the same solenoids on our fire pumps... We get at NAPA really common... Just ask for a 4 terminal ford solenoid...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts