Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am trying to preform the injector return flow test on a buddies truck. I know the procedure well

INJECTOR RETURN FLOW TEST

1. Operate the engine until the engine is at operating temperature.
2. Remove the banjo connector from the fuel drain tube at the rear of the fuel filter housing.
3. Install fuel system test fitting 9012 in place of the banjo connector.
4. Remove the vehicle fuel return line from the engine fuel drain tube. Route this hose into a container to catch bled fuel.
5. Install a piece of fuel line onto the test fitting and into a fuel container or into the fuel tank.
6. Install one end of a test hose onto the fuel drain tube. Place the other end of the test hose into a graduated cylinder.
7. Start the engine and let it idle for one minute.
8. Measure the amount of fuel in the graduated cylinder.
9. If the flow is less than 180-ml/minute, the test has successfully passed.
10. If the flow is greater than 180 ml/minute, shut off the engine and remove all of the fuel injector supply lines. Re torque all of the high-pressure connector nuts. Install all of the fuel injector supply lines.
11. Start the engine and idle for one minute. Measure the amount of fuel in the graduated cylinder.
12. If the flow is less than 180ml/minute, the condition has been fixed.
13. If the flow is greater than 180 ml/minute after step 12, shut off the engine and remove the #1 fuel injector supply line. Re torque the high-pressure connector nut. Cap the #1 fuel port using tool 9011 on the fuel rail and the #1 high pressure connector.
14. Start the engine. Measure the amount of fuel in the graduated cylinder.
15. If the amount of fuel is less than 180 ml/minute, shut off the engine and remove the #1 high pressure connector and the #1 fuel injector. Inspect for damage, repair/replace as necessary.
16. If the amount of fuel is not less than 180-ml/minute, repeat steps 14-16 for cylinders 2-6.
17. Install all high-pressure connectors, fuel injectors, and fuel injector supply lines. Repeat steps 1-8 to confirm repair.

SPECIFICATION:Less than 180 ml/minute total fuel return flow

Basically the problems I have are
1. Truck will not start to do the test (I can work on that)
2. While trying to start truck to perform the test, fuel pisses out of the 9012 fitting as fast as the lift pump can push it. I am not sure if maybe the filter is plugged or something else is up. What would cause the 9012 to "bypass" all of the fuel put in by the lift pump? When cranking no fuel was returned from the banjo return.

What I did was unscrew banjo on bottom of FF canister. Screwed 9012 in place and put hose into bucket. I than took a measuring cup and placed the whole banjo fitting line into the cup. That is correct right?

Thanks so much for the time guys

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Im going to try an see if I can find a new Fuel Filter today. I know the old one is about 1 yr old now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 9012 goes into a banjo at the top rear of the fuel filter bowl (near the engine side of the bowl-barely visible). If you put it on the bottom of the bowl, you tapped into the outlet for filtered fuel to go to the CP3 (high pressure pump). That's why you are getting a no start and so much fuel out the 9012.

BTW, do what you can to keep the inner sealing washer in place on the banjo when you install the 9012 to the correct port-it took me better than 30 minutes and four dropped washers to get it back in place after I let it fall.:banghead:

The correct banjo is really hard to see. If you follow the return line from the quick-connect up to the bowl, you will see the correct banjo. The one right on the back of the bowl in full view is the inlet from the lift pump. If I had it to do over, I would remove the inner fender well-it would make access much easier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just re-read your post. What you need (in addition to what I just posted) to do is this.

-put the 9012 in the correct banjo, and run a hose from it to a drain cup (not measured).

-look to the bottom of the filter bowl through the inner fender well (driver's side). You will see two poly lines with quick disconnects. One will lead to the upper back of the bowl in full view. That is your fuel inlet from the tank. The other will lead to a bracket and towards the engine at an upward angle. That is the return line. You need to disconnect the quick disconnect fitting by squeezing the barbs on top and bottom. The conenctor should wiggle free (be gentle). Route the female (tank side) of the connector into a drain container (again, not measured). Finally, route a tube from the male end of the connector (the part still attached to the engine/filter bowl) to the graduated cylinder. Start and run for 60 seconds and measure output. Less than 180 mL is good to go.

What you will see is that the CP3 returns fuel to the bowl as well and shares the same passage as the injector return. I.E., if you were to just measure the output of the return line without using the 9012, you would be measuring return of the injectors plus return from the CP3 (I did this the first time...scared the &%% out of me, 550 mL in 20 seconds or so...)

What the 9012 does is block the CP3 from returning through the common banjo, forcing it through the drain hose attached to the 9012 and isolating the injector return tube so that you're only measuring injector return flow.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Where can you get a 9012 fitting and who's part number is it? Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Glacier Diesel Power is where I got mine. Here is the link-

Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

If the link doesn't work, go to Glacier Diesel Power, click on Test Fittings/Gauges and Tools (left side 2nd from bottom), then "test fittings and specialty tools", then "return flow isolator" (top row on the right). It's cheaper than the SPX Miller #9012 and its stainless. Also Glacier Diesel has been great in the two orders I've placed. They also sell a nice fuel pressure test gauge and several two-micron filter kits.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you sooo much for the help!!! I thought I was screwing something up! You guys are the best!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone know what thread pitch this 9012 is off hand. We’ve got loads of fittings at work I bet there’s one of these on the shelf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts