Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I have been noticing that my egt temps have been high. This morning i pulled out of the gas station nice and easy not getting on it but giving it some fuel and from 2nd to third my egts went from 300 to like 1100 in like 3 seconds. Its like that every gear now. When i get on it it takes like 2 seconds for the edge to beep at 1350. I can hear the turbo fine but it seems to lag alot but I have normal boost. Im just worried because I do run my truck hard and I really dont feel like having to fork out some $$$. I just cant think of what it could be. idleing it used to be at around 245 now its 380?? Need some help guys. If anything i might trade it off on a hemi.....:CRY:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Sound like your incoming ait temps are to high.

Is your a filter dirty?

Is your intercooler leaking?

This is what I would check.:thumbsup

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope filters new. How do i tell if the intercooler is leaking?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Spray the intercooler with windex and watch for the windex to start bubbling where the air is leaking out of, thats an old trick we used to find leaks in high pressure air systems.

Zach

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Spray the intercooler with windex and watch for the windex to start bubbling where the air is leaking out of, thats an old trick we used to find leaks in high pressure air systems.

Zach
You can use what Zach said or dish soap mixed the water in a spray bottle.

Just spray around the boots of the connectors and all round the intercooler it self.

Just make sure the trucks running and listen for any hissing sounds.:thumbsup

If that doesnt do it.

Are you seeing alot of black smoke?

If you are try running some injector cleaner in your tank.

You could also have a leaking or a dirty injector not spraying correctly.

Like dripping inthe cylinder instead of spraying a fine mist.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well heres what I found took off the smarty and ran the truck stock. Runs just fine cant get it to hit 1100! With the edge never got over 1250. Now what, I love my smarty but not shure wear to go from here.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What level was the Smarty on?

How is your fuel pressure/rail pressure?

Maybe a weak lift or injector pump........

Randy

·
Registered
565 Posts
The best way to check for a I/C leak is to charge the pipes.

If you take a 3" PVC pipe cap, drill a hole in the end of it for a tire schrader valve, pull you intake tube off the turbo, use your silicone connector and hose clamp to secure the PVC cap to the compressor side of the turbo. Use a air compressor to charge the turbo, IC and charge pipes to 25 psi. Now you can spray the boost with water and soap to look for leaks. you will be able to hear air escaping too with the motor off. :thumbsup

here is a link to the one I've made.

IC Pipe Tester

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have a rail pressure gauge but the smarty was on 8. ????

·
Registered
470 Posts
subscribing:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Run Smarty on odds and don't run the Juice....
I agree. If you were running the stack on a stock fuel system, you were probably running low on rail pressure and causing the extra heat.

Randy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i get it. sounds good. Just run it on the odds then. ill see how that works

·
Registered
258 Posts
bigger turbo=lower egt...
depending on how deep your pockets are.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
bigger turbo=lower egt...
depending on how deep your pockets are.
not always... it's a fine balance. I run higher EGT's with my bigger turbo... but I don't fuel hard enough to really spool the Super B single

·
Registered
992 Posts
could go with bigger exhaust for a quick and cheap modification.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts