Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has started to flare the rpms just a little between 2nd and 3rd gear. It does it at all times except wot. At full throttle it shifts great. Any ideas what would cause this?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Yea, the KD band has about expired from lack of adjustment. If no treads are exposed at jamb nut, the band is worn out.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was just replaced/rebuilt in november. Didnt do it till a week or so ago. It also shifts fine at wot and holds the power just fine. Its got me, im no tranny guy.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Stock Valve body?

It could be band/TV cable adjustment.

There are 2 valves that time the band release and the clutch apply. They take throttle pressure against governor and spring pressure to give shift quality (cushion it under light throttle conditions).
With your engine modifications, you are putting a lot more torque at less throttle, your trans thinks your cruzing so it shifts accordingly.

I'm not an expert but I highly suggest you call who ever rebuilt it or get someone who can take pressure etc... and fix this slip before you fry something.
I had a leaking servo cap and fried my forward clutch and band in one evening.

·
Got P7100?
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valve body has a shift kit in it. Shifted firm when i got it rebuilt, just started doing this. Its seems to be "ok" when its cold, then gets a little worse as the fluid heats up.

Anyone else got an idea?

·
Registered
616 Posts
The only thing I know would be to check pressures.
Usually when problems gets worse with heat, its a leak in a circuit some where.
Sometimes a rolled piston seal won't be a problem right away. I've seen it in clutch packs in transmissions and piston seals in hydraulic cylinders; rolled seal, works fine, out of nowhere problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts