Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 3500 and I recently installed a tune I bought from an online store. Came with an autocal v3 and the tune loaded on it. Also came with a CSP5 switch and I am unable to change between power levels. I installed the bypass cable as directed and flashed the truck and all went well. Installed the switch and I noticed while driving there is zero difference in power between settings. The website I bought it off of claimed 5 power levels from 20 to 100hp SOFT. Would also calibrate the speedometer to larger tire size which it did not do. I contacted the website and they gave me an email to a yahoo address to contact to get the problem fixed. I emailed and was told the tunes are 4 levels not 5 and it would not calibrate the speedometer. So several red flags already. This person sent me a new tune and I loaded it onto the autocal and flashed the truck successfully. Still no noticeable power difference. I contact the manufacturer of the switch and bypass cable. They walk me through troubleshooting, when you plug the switch it it is supposed to give you a series of short and long blinks indicating that it is reading the tune and it does this. But when you change from 1,2,3,4 it is supposed to give you a corresponding flash indicating it is reading and has changed to that level. Instead it gives me two very fast flashes no matter what level is selected. They tell me this is due to the switch not reading a selectable tune. They ask me to plug in the autocal and try and change the tune using the autocal and it will not change the tune that way either and gives error code 0311 tune switching failed. They inform me that if the autocal cannot switch the tune then neither will the switch and I was either given a bad tune or one that does not have levels as described. They through pictures verified all my wiring and everything was correct. I contact the person that sent me the tune and explained this and he is now saying its not his tune that I must have a bad ECM or my truck has electrical problems or something. I would think if that was the case my truck would not be running correctly, throw codes or something and its perfectly fine other than I cannot change levels. I tell him I have now been informed by several people, the switch manufacturer and according to the website I bought from that you should be able to change levels using the autocal. He says no you cant the only way to change is using a switch. Upon more research I've found two different switches and am now wondering if the switch I have is compatible with the tune or not. I've tried contacting this person and the website multiple times with no one ever getting back to me anymore. Below is the switch I was sent with the tune which plugs into the OBD2 port vs another switch I've come across. Could this just be a switch that isn't compatible or is it sounding like I was not given what I paid for?
Camera accessory Gadget Cable Font Wire

Eyebrow Eye Eyelash Font Circle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tunes are switchable via autocal. If yours arent then that's your problem not the switch.
You are about the 5th person to tell me that along with the website I bought the stuff from and Fish Tuning who makes the switch. Funny to me how I have never been able to get a reply back from the website which was dpfdeleteshop.com since the first complaint and he threw me off on some guy at [email protected] who is blaming it on everything but his tune when everything else has been verified to be good and working properly. I figured it has to either be the tune or the switch that plugs into the OBD2 port isn't compatible with that tune for some reason. Only reason I got on the switch thing was I was to the point of buying a new tune from someone else and one of the people I looked into told me that I would have to buy his switch as the one that I have will not work for tunes on a 2020, that its only good for a 2018 and under and would need to the be the switch in the second picture. Heres what the autocal is showing. Which the tunes on there arent what the tuner says I should have and when I asked about that he said well those are just place holders.
Gadget Grey Audio equipment Font Electronic device
Product Communication Device Automotive design Vehicle Grey

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have a 2012 6.7, same sort of scenario except i have my own tune files, when i switch tunes with my flashscan it works great, hookup the switch and it runs weird and sounds like crap.. im assuming your switch is the one that says supports l5p from fish tuning, that switch is known to be defective by fish tuning

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have a 2012 6.7, same sort of scenario except i have my own tune files, when i switch tunes with my flashscan it works great, hookup the switch and it runs weird and sounds like crap.. im assuming your switch is the one that says supports l5p from fish tuning, that switch is known to be defective by fish tuning
I'll have to look into if the switch says that or not. That's another thing I've noticed is the sound of the truck, the smell and the grayish white smoke. I've only owned one other diesel and it was a 6.0. Since tuning it the truck sounds like my 6.0 did, not quiet as much of the jet exhaust sound but not a deep tone like other cummins. Also after driving for a while and getting into it the truck goes from blowing a small amount of black smoke to gray to white. It's also gets that exhaust smell that I remember I started smelling on the 6.0 when the whole head gasket and all of that started going out. Maybe this is all normal for a tuned cummins as I dint have experience with it but it's all really starting to worry me I have a bad tune and it's causing damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine does the same thing, fuel knock sound when revving and it blows grey smoke... i disconnected switch for now
Mine is doing it whether the switch is connected or not. Also idles a little rough and is super rough when shutting the truck off, shakes the whole truck bad. Figuring I need to get a different tune loaded in asap.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My first switch was faulty. I had my stuff done. I noticed it did nothing from setting 1-4. ( no one tells you the 5 switch is a 4 switch, ) The switch at the top is the one I have, and it has a block off part to add so it only goes to #4. For those that have a 4 setup. I now have a 5 switch set up. That said, I had a hell of a time doing research, but found that the switch at top, has a led light on the back, that when switched, blinks 1 on 1 and 4 on 4. So my first switch just blinked 1 on all. Got sent a new switch, and did 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 and so on. I had all my stuff done 2 different times for 2 different reasons. Never had/have a problem. Mine didn't come from a hand held box tune, it came from a laptop.
I wont give info over the net. Find a reputable place, go to Canida, go to Mexico. There will always be a place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts