Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fueled up at a scetchy station and ended up stuck at work at the end of the day. I figured it was the lift pump.Angry and covered in diesel fuel I decided that as a last resort before the tow truck showed up I decided I'd crank until the batteries died. Then my truck barely started as I held the pedal to the floor, black smoke poored from the exhaust pipe then everything was fine. the next day I tried changing the fuel filter but still the same problem... Can anyone help...
1995 12V

·
Registered
2 Posts
fuel problem

If the engine has a Bosch P Inline injection pump there is a Pressure Check Valve. It is located at the front of the Injection pump on the Head side of the pump. The fuel drain line is hooked to the Check valve. take a 3/4 in wrench and take it out. Dont loosen up the smaller nut on the check valve. if you do there is a spring and a little ball. There are two dina seals on there. don't loose them. see if you can blow threw the check valve. If you can then that is your problem. It is a common problem. If that is not bad then you could have restriction in the lines going from the tank to the lift pump or you could have a bad lift pump. To check the restriction you will need to rig up something to go in the banjo bolt that goes into the lift pump and hook a vaccum gauge up to and crank the engine over. If you have over 10 in of restriction u have a problem in the fuel lines. If you have a fuel restriction less than 10 in then check your fuel lift pump pressure. to do that get a pressure guage and hook it into the banjo bolt on pressure side of the lift pump. Which is in the line going to your fuel filter. If you have good pressure there than check fuel pressure past the fuel filter. i have seen trash get into the inlet of the fuel filter. Good Luck If you need any questions anwsered just ask:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It's not the lift pump if you can get it started and everything run fine after that. You probably have an air leak somewhere. Several possibilites. It may be that the fuel heater burned up. Email me at [email protected] for my 12 valve fuel supply system write up, how it works and how to fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you had black smoke it is not the lift pump. black smoke=too much fuel, white smoke=not enough fuel as in bad lift pump or air in fuel. Sounds a lot like you have a stuck cut off solenoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts