Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my name is Tommy, I'm from Middletown Ny. I have a 93 D-350 4x4. I just bought it yesterday and i had to go about 220 miles home with the truck. It died with my about 60 miles from home.

The truck ran good until i was about 100 miles from home. I would be driving at about half throttle doing around 60ish and the power would completely die, I would let my foot off throttle and then step on it again and the truck would come back to life. i did that for about 30 miles then it just completely died and i had to pull over and get towed home. Now the truck will just keep spinning the starter but wont fire up.

Here is what i know about the truck.
The guy who had it before me let it sit for 3 to 4 years. He changed the oil before he fired it up and he ran it up and down the road said it needed an altnator. he pulled it off then checked it at the auto parts store and they said it was fine. It did not feel like a altanator btw.

The truck needs some tlc I feel I got a fair deal on it. It just needs some stuff, i will have to ask some more questions once i get it running.

Btw its a auto and has 126k on it

:beerThanks to everyone for reading:beer

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sounds like the fuel-shut-off solenoid is acting up.

The solenoid is on the top of the injection pump, and needs voltage for the truck to run; if it looses voltage, it will kill the truck. It's the electrical connection on top, backside of the pump with only one wire going to it, attached onto a spade connector.

So it sounds like the electrical circuit running the solenoid is suffering from an intermittent short.

The first thing to check would be to turn your ignition on, then see if there is voltage going to the solenoid. There should be enough current for it to spark pretty good when you accidently lay it against some grounded metal, but it should definitely light a test lamp or give you 12 volts on a multimeter.

I'm willing to bet that you won't have any voltage going to the solenoid. That would explain the problem, and then you'd just have to trace down the short.

Now, if it isn't electrical, it sounds like an air leak... This would be supported by symptoms of rough running, sputtering and smoking when it was intermittently dying. The air leak diagnosis can be confirmed by bleeding the injectors and seeing if it starts up afterwards. But the actual air leak can be harder to find than an honest politician.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That happened to me one time when my fuel filter backed off. Check to see if there is diesel leaking anywhere.

Chris

·
Registered
520 Posts
It could also be a plugged fuel filter or bad lift pump. If it sat for years, driving it may have stirred the junk out of the bottom of the tank and plugged the filter.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It could also be a plugged fuel filter or bad lift pump. If it sat for years, driving it may have stirred the junk out of the bottom of the tank and plugged the filter.
That is what I was thinking too. My dad bought a jet boat. We took it out on the snake river and ran it for 2 hours. Then it sputtered and died. Fired it up, ran fine, then gave her some go and it roared to life then after a minute it sputtered and died. Turns out that when they welded the tank together they didn't clean the tank out. All that crap floated through the tank and lines and was caught in the screen before the fuel filter. We would shut the engine off and the fuel would flow back through the lines towards the tank. Anyways good luck pal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts