Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is helping me get started in the hotshot business. He has the connections to getting loads but I am not real sure on what kind of trailer to get. I was thinking about a 40' flatdeck with two 10,000 pound axles or go with a 35' flatdeck with 5' dovetail with ramps. What do you guys have and think I should get? Not real positive with what I will be hauling but I don't want to run into not having a trailer that is heavy duty enough for the job.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It really depends on the clients you pick up. If you want a trailer that can haul just about any hotshot load. You want a 35+5 Dove tail with 4 spring assisted ramps, with plates on the bottom side so it extends your deck the full 40' when they are up, with 12,000# axels and electric over hydraulic disc brakes. That will allow you to haul just about everything.

But, again, it depends on what clients you haul for. I have been doing this for 6 months, and with the clients I have, I use a 20' with 7k axels 90% of the time. This allows me to not get permits in some states, I save fuel big time, and believe it or not, weigh stations don't pay attention to me with my signs off.

My company has run for two years with owning a PJ 34' float with 12k axels as their biggest trailer. I am headed to oklahoma to pick up a 40' next week. We miss out on maybe a load a month due to not having a 40'. We have actually missed out on more loads due to not having a dovetail for hauling equipment.

So again, it depends what you are going to be getting into. Lately with as slow as things have been, I have seen lots of guys that keep a 40' on their truck and are hauling a single palet around. Sure is a waste of a lot of gas IMO, but I have 20', 30', 34', and about to have a 40' to pick from.

If you buy a trailer though, I HIGHLY recommend hydraulic brakes, and if you are going to buy brand new, and go big pay a little extra for the 2 speed jack.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have a friend who is helping me get started in the hotshot business. He has the connections to getting loads but I am not real sure on what kind of trailer to get. I was thinking about a 40' flatdeck with two 10,000 pound axles or go with a 35' flatdeck with 5' dovetail with ramps. What do you guys have and think I should get? Not real positive with what I will be hauling but I don't want to run into not having a trailer that is heavy duty enough for the job.
This site has priceless information on it. I highly recommend you start at the top and read EVERYTHING;

ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org :: Index

They have published a how-to guide for $49.95. Get it and read it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ugh... i dont think you can possibly pick a trailer without knowing what your going to haul. Ive got a 40' straight deck with 2-10k axles but i was sure of what i needed before i bought it. What nitche are you getting into? cars, campers, oilfield equip.?

·
Registered
47 Posts
and go big pay a little extra for the 2 speed jack.
I agree, I'm not a hotshotter, and only pull my gooseneck a few times a week and I really wish I would have got the 2 speed jack!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I run a 45' excel that is a dove tail with a center pop up. With my setup the trailer is over length, but the loads I get due to the extra 5' will more than pay for any ticket. The trailer is also a pierced frame, that lowers the deck to 33", this helps if you are to haul cars, or taller freight.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your trailer is over 53'? Is the gooseneck more than 8' in length?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, the total length is 53'6". I have had numerous dot inspections, and not one officer has mentioned the length

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, the total length is 53'6". I have had numerous dot inspections, and not one officer has mentioned the length
i also would go with a 40+ , ^^^this guys trailer is perfect example. nice trailer btw!

my trailer from nose to rear is 56' and some inches , tx dot messured me from front of truck to rear of trailer which is 72' he shook his head and said that aint legal but no ticket . and the only load ive ever had to turn away was pipe that they didnt want a headrack on the front of trailer.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If you are going to hotshot I would get a minimum 40' trailer if not 45'. You can get a straight flat deck but then I would suggest investing about $2,000 in aluminum ramps. I have a set that can hold 20,000 pounds per axle. I would also make sure you get a pierced frame construction. This will allow the deck height to be between 31-33". Most decks on GN trailers are 37" which if hauling a load the is tall sucks. I would get a minimum (2) 12K axles.

Basically you want to be set up for anything that comes your way. If that be pipe, trucks, equipment, freight, etc.

I myself am having a 48' flat deck built. It will have a hydraulic 9' dovetail and have (2) 16k axles with a 6' spread. This will allow me to have better weight distribution over the axles. My trailers are also equipped with a Warn 16.5 winch.

Cost of the new trailer is $17K. Very good deal and built the way I need it.

Pretty much the only limits I have is weight. I can put anything on the trailer including Class A RV's.

I would also HIGHLY suggest getting 14 ply tires. The 10 ply that come stock on the trailers suck. They get hot and then either blow out or wear like sh*t. Spend a little extra in the beginning or spent a lot in the end.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are going to hotshot I would get a minimum 40' trailer if not 45'. You can get a straight flat deck but then I would suggest investing about $2,000 in aluminum ramps. I have a set that can hold 20,000 pounds per axle. I would also make sure you get a pierced frame construction. This will allow the deck height to be between 31-33". Most decks on GN trailers are 37" which if hauling a load the is tall sucks. I would get a minimum (2) 12K axles.

Basically you want to be set up for anything that comes your way. If that be pipe, trucks, equipment, freight, etc.

I myself am having a 48' flat deck built. It will have a hydraulic 9' dovetail and have (2) 16k axles with a 6' spread. This will allow me to have better weight distribution over the axles. My trailers are also equipped with a Warn 16.5 winch.

Pretty much the only limits I have is weight. I can put anything on the trailer including Class A RV's.

I would also HIGHLY suggest getting 14 ply tires. The 10 ply that come stock on the trailers suck. They get hot and then either blow out or wear like sh*t. Spend a little extra in the beginning or spent a lot in the end.

so your getting it? if so im jeleous:drool2:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
so your getting it? if so im jeleous:drool2:

Tired of buying Wheels & Tires. Figured after all the stuff got jacked on my truck I can just put the insurance money towards the trailer. Need to step up with the big boys. :hehe:

·
Registered
241 Posts

:shock: When you find out this trailer is not all you hoped for, I might be willing to take it off your hands for like half what you payed for it....:hehe: That trailer sounds great, will you be going with air ride to help with turning due to spread axles? The mfg of my trailer would do spread axles, but no waranty with spreads

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
:shock: When you find out this trailer is not all you hoped for, I might be willing to take it off your hands for like half what you payed for it....:hehe: That trailer sounds great, will you be going with air ride to help with turning due to spread axles? The mfg of my trailer would do spread axles, but no waranty with spreads
Man Airbags sure would be nice on the trailer. I didn't even ask them if that was the type of suspension that was needed. I know on spreads you want air ride so the suspension can flex around turns. I need to sell my 40' trailer to help pay for the new trailer.

Baby steps I guess. Takes 4 weeks for the trailer to be built and I don't want to be without a trailer. I'm still trying to get all the details worked out and pricing finalized, etc.

It is cheaper to buy a new trailer then to pay to have mine modified. Go figure :confused013:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'll be waiting to see some pictures when it does come in! I would really like to have a trailer like it. My only concern would be the axles, at least with what I do on a day to day basis. One of my customers I damn near have to jack knife when backing into their shop (I don't like how mine flex, let alone what spreads would do). The spreads would help balance my loads, I do have a lot of deck space between truck axle and firs axle on trailer.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'll be waiting to see some pictures when it does come in! I would really like to have a trailer like it. My only concern would be the axles, at least with what I do on a day to day basis. One of my customers I damn near have to jack knife when backing into their shop (I don't like how mine flex, let alone what spreads would do). The spreads would help balance my loads, I do have a lot of deck space between truck axle and firs axle on trailer.

I would love to have sliding axles. That would be the best but not sure if possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would love to have sliding axles. That would be the best but not sure if possible.

I haven't seen that on a gooseneck, maybe we ought to get out of hauling and start mfging trailers with sliding axles:drool2:. We will be rich in no time at all, I can just see it now:headbang: Sliding axles will require airbrakes won't they? If thats the case, we will do airbrakes with air ride...

·
Registered
235 Posts
the trailer i showed you that one night , that grey one thats a g neck ITS HAS SLIDER AXLES!!!!! but big $$$$$ and they never ever ever ever ever use it to haul anything on , it just sits there:banghead:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts