Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is on a 2004.5 , on driver side of the engine , on a metal bracket that plugs into a wire harness. here is to pictures of it .

2,794 Posts
Those wires look like there the ones that go the center of the engine cooling fan. The engine fans in our trucks have electrically controlled viscous clutches.

It looks like the wiring brackets & the wire routing pipes are mangled in your truck.
The wires go towards the rad, inside the shroud at the bottom, up the rad core & connect to the centre of the front of the engine fan.

The fans work excellent but those wires are in a vulnerable position near the bottom of the front of the engine & near the spinning fan.
Plus it's a PITA to get clearance to fix those wires.
You have to pull the the rad, then remove the shroud, then you have a bit of room to get in there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Those are definately your cooling fan wires the steel bracket goes at the bottom of the shroud and up too the front of the cooling fan, some guys have had the fan tear it away but those are the cooling fan wires for sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks like the wires to your fan clutch, there should be 5 or 6 wires (I think one of them is just insulated string). Is your check engine light on? I got codes p0480 and p0483 (fan clutch codes) when my wires were cut up. There should be a plug around the bottom passenger side of your radiator where the wires connect from the center of the fan clutch. With some good light you should be able to see the torn wires on the front of your fan clutch...if you reach down, or look up from underneath and spin the very center of the clutch around to see the wires. Mine is an '03 not sure if its any different....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the wires to your fan clutch, there should be 5 or 6 wires (I think one of them is just insulated string). Is your check engine light on? I got codes p0480 and p0483 (fan clutch codes) when my wires were cut up. There should be a plug around the bottom passenger side of your radiator where the wires connect from the center of the fan clutch. With some good light you should be able to see the torn wires on the front of your fan clutch...if you reach down, or look up from underneath and spin the very center of the clutch around to see the wires. Mine is an '03 not sure if its any different....
The wires be disconnected from the clutch ?? It has a plug but I cant figure out how to disconnect it . NO codes .

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is no connection directly to the fan clutch, the wires are built into it. The wires run from the fan down into a plug that should be on the bottom side of your radiator. To get the plug undone you may need a small flat head screw driver to lift the tab and be able to pull it apart.

Again mine is an '03, anyone know if the 03 and 04.5 have the same set up that I am refering to?? I would imagine it is the same, if not it has to be close enough that I should be making sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no connection directly to the fan clutch, the wires are built into it. The wires run from the fan down into a plug that should be on the bottom side of your radiator. To get the plug undone you may need a small flat head screw driver to lift the tab and be able to pull it apart.

Again mine is an '03, anyone know if the 03 and 04.5 have the same set up that I am refering to?? I would imagine it is the same, if not it has to be close enough that I should be making sense.
you are correct . I am going to have to remove the whole fan/clutch to repair the wires .

·
Registered
135 Posts
have fun! I just did mine about a month ago. I noticed that there were six wires coming from the fan clutch and only five wires going into the plug (my wire was cut about 4 inches from the clutch and 1 inch from the plug)...after i stripped the wires coming from the fan clutch I noticed one of them...i think a light blue one...was only some sort of string, all the others were actual wires and matched the colors of the wires coming out of the plug. I ended up just leaving the "string wire" dangle and everything is good so far. I am not very knowledgeable with electronics so the "string wire" confused me quite a bit...anyways, hope this helps you out a little

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the sixth wire being insulated string????

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have fun! I just did mine about a month ago. I noticed that there were six wires coming from the fan clutch and only five wires going into the plug (my wire was cut about 4 inches from the clutch and 1 inch from the plug)...after i stripped the wires coming from the fan clutch I noticed one of them...i think a light blue one...was only some sort of string, all the others were actual wires and matched the colors of the wires coming out of the plug. I ended up just leaving the "string wire" dangle and everything is good so far. I am not very knowledgeable with electronics so the "string wire" confused me quite a bit...anyways, hope this helps you out a little

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with the sixth wire being insulated string????
Thanks for the info . I will fix this when I do all of the other things I have planned to get it ready for the spring towing season . I have had this truck a month now and it has been full of surprises :banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts