Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to buy a 04 dodge 3500 dualley witha 5.9 cummins auto 4x4 off my friend that has 115k on it and it keeps blowing the valve cover gasket and he took it to the dealership and they said it was the tubro anyone know if there telling the truth

·
Registered
576 Posts
how about a clogged or restricted crankcase breather vent? left side of engine in front of fuel fiter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill have to check and see im geting a real good deal on it but i dont want to buy it if its something major

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
The crank case breather itself is located under the black plastic valve cover. I've never seen a "Blown valve cover gasket"

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
Ive never seen one blown either, they fit in a groove that goes around the valve cover, if installed properly and tightened down properly I dont see how it can blow out. I have seen the gasket pulled out of the groove when installing the cover back on, especially at the back where you have to get it over the back rocker and injector. But it wouldnt hurt to check the breather filter, and check the gasket, make sure its not cracked or falling out when installing it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yea i would check the crankcase breather first like the others have stated

·
Registered
576 Posts
if it where the turbo that would mean its blowing its pressure thru the oil return into the crankcase and over pressuring it, which should still blow out the crankcase breather.
correct?? now if the engine has excessive blowby than same problem. very expensive fix.
either way make sure you know what your getting into or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts