Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a.1998 ram 3500 automatic transmission 4X4 with a 24 valve 5.9 359L6 diesel turbo Vin:6
I just got.
It has been sitting a little bit. But this is reason it was parked..
I don't have a lot of $$ to throw a Shop just to Diag it @$200_. If anyone can help, if appreciate it. Not sure where to start with it. At idle it sounds prefect idles perfect. Our in fear idles down to where stock rpm is . Give it throttle to start driving and you get straight to 1500RPMS.
Max that's it!!
So basically idles great but only get 1500 rpms
It doesn't sound funny or anything it just acts like it's governed to 1500rpms.
If you know what is causing this
Please help
Thanks you in Advance for any help

·
Farm Mechanic
2,128 Posts
You need to check for codes in the system. I know that AutoZone used to do it for free, I haven't been there in a while so not entirely sure if they still do. Many shops will do a basic scan of the system for a fee typically anywhere from $20-50. Or perhaps you have a buddy that has an OBD II code reader. Many codes on these trucks will not trigger a check engine light, so to get the whole picture you need to start with this step.

I would lean towards an issue with the APPS, or the VP44, however you need to go through the diagnostic steps before throwing any parts at it.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Yes codes is first, a must. Probably vp44 apps is possible. Get codes and back to us.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Since it has been sitting, check the rubber on the Turbo. Rats have a propensity for sharpening their teeth on it. I had an instance where my mechanic left off the turbo hose after a repair. I drove it about two blocks before I spun around to have him check things out. No turbo, no power. I barely made it to 30 MPH. Just another thing to check out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Since it has been sitting, check the rubber on the Turbo. Rats have a propensity for sharpening their teeth on it. I had an instance where my mechanic left off the turbo hose after a repair. I drove it about two blocks before I spun around to have him check things out. No turbo, no power. I barely made it to 30 MPH. Just another thing to check out.

It should free rev without a turbo. Doubt that’s his issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for replays I appreciate it Alot!!
Even trying free rev it only goes straight to 1500.
And yes I need code reader on it.
It is an OBD2 reader is what I need correct? I think that's what 1 replied.
I cant get it to parts house so I'm gonna try and rent 1 and try that route.
And please forgive me I am Brand new to diesels in general . I know engines just not diesels. .
Lol 1 other question for moment?
I'm guessing the APPS & VP45 being referred to is codes for something
Out of curiosity what are those.
I'm head up to parts house in cple hours. After I work on the play toy out.of.my.pair of rams I got in trade. 1 is diesel and other is a V10 Magnum that's gonna be a mud toy unless someone offers a price I cant pass up.( truck is in great shape inside. And not bad out.
Again thank yall for help

·
Farm Mechanic
2,128 Posts
Thank you for replays I appreciate it Alot!!
Even trying free rev it only goes straight to 1500.
And yes I need code reader on it.
It is an OBD2 reader is what I need correct? I think that's what 1 replied.
I cant get it to parts house so I'm gonna try and rent 1 and try that route.
And please forgive me I am Brand new to diesels in general . I know engines just not diesels. .
Lol 1 other question for moment?
I'm guessing the APPS & VP45 being referred to is codes for something
Out of curiosity what are those.
I'm head up to parts house in cple hours. After I work on the play toy out.of.my.pair of rams I got in trade. 1 is diesel and other is a V10 Magnum that's gonna be a mud toy unless someone offers a price I cant pass up.( truck is in great shape inside. And not bad out.
Again thank yall for help
Yes, OBD II. OBD I was late 80's, early 90's. OBD II is newer stuff, and I'm not entirely sure what the current protocol on vehicles is now.

APPS is the vehicle Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. Or otherwise referred to as the TPS or Throttle Position Sensor by some folks. Bosch VP44 is the type of fuel injection pump that these trucks have on them.

If you plan do be doing much of your own maintenance/repairs on your vehicles and not just restricted to your Dodge Cummins truck you can actually buy some pretty decent OBD II code readers for under $200. Even under $50 depending on the type of features you want it to have. Many folks like the bluetooth dongles that can be connected to you phone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on when the truck is running? If so you have a code, if not well ya might not get anything with a code reader. Might need a scan tool to read the PIDs.
A quick way to check for codes is to cycle the ignition on from off three times and leave it on the third time, Watch the odometer it will show any stored codes in the ECM or PCM, but not the ABS codes (need an expensive reader for that)

Look at the throttle sensor (AAPS) and see it moves full travel and there is nothing funky going on. Also have a look at the MAP (manifold absolute sensor)

·
Farm Mechanic
2,128 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on when the truck is running? If so you have a code, if not well ya might not get anything with a code reader. Might need a scan tool to read the PIDs.
A quick way to check for codes is to cycle the ignition on from off three times and leave it on the third time, Watch the odometer it will show any stored codes in the ECM or PCM, but not the ABS codes (need an expensive reader for that)

Look at the throttle sensor (AAPS) and see it moves full travel and there is nothing funky going on. Also have a look at the MAP (manifold absolute sensor)
Typically these trucks do not trigger an illuminated check engine light when there is a code in the system. Key trick doesn't work on the early trucks, and doesn't even always work on the later trucks. His being a 98 I highly doubt anything will show up with the key trick, however it does work on my 02.

To test the APPS you need to check the voltage range with a multimeter. Not much mechanical to go wrong limiting the motion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Typically these trucks do not trigger an illuminated check engine light when there is a code in the system. Key trick doesn't work on the early trucks, and doesn't even always work on the later trucks. His being a 98 I highly doubt anything will show up with the key trick, however it does work on my 02.

To test the APPS you need to check the voltage range with a multimeter. Not much mechanical to go wrong limiting the motion.
I was unaware the key trick did not work with the older trucks, does on my 00 and has same protocol. But should't it illuminate the check engine light if there is a short or open in the wiring to the ECM or sensors?

Mentioned looking at the throttle sensor to see if the linkage had full travel (ya a long shot to say the least).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where is AAPS located at? Do I can check movement NorthCalGearHead
I picked up a code reader for it and will work on it tomorrow and see what it says. I'll let y'all know what I find

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drivers side of the engine, above the fuel pump (VP44). Follow the throttle cable, its under a plastic cover. Doubt you will see much

Will the engine rev free (above 1500) if not in gear?

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Key trick never works on 2000 or before, just on 01/02, sometimes. Codes do not always show check engine light. Also sometimes there issues that do not show codes until it dies completely. Chances are you will get a P0216 code for VP44 internal timing failure. Replacement required. Stock rebuilt pump is a about $1000 many places, hot rod or certain bands twice that. Less if you have a local authorized Bosch rebuilder, search Diesel Fuel Injection shops.

PS Welcome.

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
Do not screw with the APPS at this point. It requires a certain voltmeter test , not a mechanical "look at it". Probably not the issue anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys finally got the codes .
Any help is greatly appreciated.
P1689 no communication between ECM and injector pump module
Next code 1698 no CCD messages from TCM
Next code 1693 FLT in Comp Mdle
Nosire where to go from here
Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also no free rev up passed 1500rpms. In park give it throttle only goes to 1500. Turbo Definitely not making noise

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should rephrase last.lost. sounds really bad on my end. Meant that turbo is not spooling up at.all. sounds is like no power and and its under.load but it's not
Thanks

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
1 - 20 of 56 Posts