Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dropped the tank and everything looks good. A little bit of debris but nothing major, not enough to be a problem I would think. No cracked lines, everything looked great. I will head up stream and start looking at the inj pump. Only think I have done this year was some afc tuning. I will pull it back off and make sure there are no problems, also check the linkage as mentioned.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I did some looking around on the AFC, verified nothing was broke, moved the plate back to where it was last year (full fwd) and re assembled. I went to fire it up and it wouldn't start. The fss was not pulling up. Took it off and inspected it, got it to work intermittently so I went back to the starter, took it off and opened it up, sure enough the other copper wire on the inside of the solenoid was broke. I had just soldered the other wire and now this one pulled off. I took the connection out, cleaned off all the old solder and re did both wires. Then put it back together and it was still having issues pulling up. I jumped the relay and it was hitting everytime. So i am thinking the wire and or the relay might be causing the problem, maybe it is causing the fss to fall? I had to order a new relay as NAPA wanted 110 buck for one and that is a little absurd. New one should be here thursday. Hopefully that was the issue. Sounds like a stretch but I dont really have any other theories to operate on lol.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The FSS 'pull' relay is triggered by the output of the starter relay in the PDC, which means if the starter relay is busted, the FSS won't lift. But in that case, the engine wouldn't crank, either.

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
The relay is only for when the starter is engaged. The hold circuit is powered by a fuse, #9 IIRC. Will the engine start if you wire the FSS up?

·
Registered
13,376 Posts
It has to be the anti-sway hitch that's causing these problems.
They're known to do bad things.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It has started fine the rest of the day, probably 20 times now. The FSS pulls up and stays up. Before I re soldered the wire it would pull up but i dont think it would stay up because the engine would fire then die, and do it over and over. And I changed out the starter relay to rule it out. Plus like you said it wouldn't crank.
It has to be the anti-sway hitch that's causing these problems.
They're known to do bad things.
Lol I sold that years ago!

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just went and verified the #9 fuse, labeled engine, was good. I did install my ac this last week and checked every fuse after wiring it in, so I know I did not have any blown fuses on the previous 2 trips and dont have any now, they all look clean as well, good connections. I remember after i pulled the FSS off I held up the shut down arm and yes the pickup fired up, that was before I checked the starter If I remember correctly. So far after soldering the starter the pickup fires right up. Must have tested it and making sure the FSS is pulling up over 25 times now. They seem solid as a rock right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So this happened again yesterday. This time unloaded and not far from home. Just pulled onto the highway from my house and she died. I pulled over without touching anything and checked under the hood. The fss was down. Farther down the road it happened maybe 6 more times. Would fire right up each time but died 10 sec later. I pulled over to a shady spot, took off the FSS and tied it up. Drove fine the rest of the way. I also noticed the FSS seemed hot, granted it was 95 outside it still was too hot to hold for more than a touch. Once I got home i started checking for a loose hold wire. I did not find one but I remembered this winter I put a new boot on the fss and I don't think I had adjusted it right. I put the lever short to make sure it would lift all the way up, never thought about it past that. I re adjusted now. I am thinking the FSS was too short so it was not able to pull all the way up, causing it to get really hot and putting extra load on the hold wire. Then at certain points the hold wire would fail and the solenoid would drop. It was probably 1/8 in out of adjustment. What do you guys think? Sound like the likely culprit. Either way I know its the FSS causing it to die, which is nice because I will never get stranded from that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm no expert about these cummins yet, but I do know that magnets, and magnetic coils, pull stronger the closer they are. So maybe since you had the FSS adjusted short to ensure it would pull the lever the full length, perhaps it wasn't "holding" as strongly as it would when bottomed out again the coil, and vibrations could maybe shake it loose...

Just a thought.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm no expert about these cummins yet, but I do know that magnets, and magnetic coils, pull stronger the closer they are. So maybe since you had the FSS adjusted short to ensure it would pull the lever the full length, perhaps it wasn't "holding" as strongly as it would when bottomed out again the coil, and vibrations could maybe shake it loose...

Just a thought.
Kinda what I was thinking too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That could very well be it, you can measure it just to be sure, from the eyelet to the mounting bracket I think it’s 2.64”

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well this weekend hauled the camper and both wheelers 3 1/2 hours, pretty rough road for some of it with no issues. Came back empty, (left mamma and the camper for the week) with no issues. As of now this seems to have solved the issue. If it comes back I will left everyone know.

Reactions: jason867

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I know there's a general dislike for, and a lot of people generally hate on replacing the FSS with a manual pull cable, but for the the few issues these trucks have (they are generally pretty reliable) it sure seems the FSS is involved in the majority of them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Planning to cable mine when it gets swapped into my ford. My ford has a locking handle hood pull cable, and I got a second one, keyed the same, to use for my engine shutoff.

As far as what is needed to run the engine, I'm trying for as few electronics as possible.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts