Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on in a while because everything has been working great on my dodge. The last 2 times i was coming back from the race track I had a strange thing happen. I am pulling my enclosed car trailer with race and tools ect... I begin climbing the last summit before I get home. It is not a steep grade and the summit is about 3k. I pull much bigger hills on the same trip. This one has about an 1/8 mile where the road is very bumpy. They are like cut bumps in the road, not jarring but noticeable and rhythmic, dadonk... dadonk kinda thing, very repetitive. During this short distance the pickup pulls like ****. The first trip i noticed it slowing down, I was doing about 55 egts were 1150 then started climbing. I was doing about 2100 RPM boost was about 12 psi. Then the pickup just died, like it ran out of fuel. I coasted to the rest stop that was on the summit. Pulled in and went to start the pickup. It fired up but then died immediately, almost like the Fuel shout off solenoid wouldn't stay up. So i popped the hood, checked it out, turned the key on, verified the FSS was up and it was, fired it up and it idled like nothing happened. Started great as it always does. I thought maybe i had just lugged it too bad or something and went back on the road. The pickup has ran great for 2 weeks, towing and everything. This weekend towed to the track just fine then at the same spot I thought maybe I will down shift and see what happens. So i start losing speed and egts climb so I drop into 3rd, goes normal for a second or 2 then it revs on its own to 2700 rpm. I could feel the pedal go to the floor. Then the motor just shuts down again, same spot. I coast to the rest stop. Pickup fires right up, no issues. I have no idea what is happening but I am thinking it has to do with the bumps. Mind you this pickup has extra leafs and is very stiff and these bumps are pretty good sized for a paved road. Not logging road bad but pretty bad for a 60mph road. Any idea?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can try that but I would think if it was losing fuel or getting air the motor would start stumbling and missing before it shut down? Its only slightly under half tank when i hit this spot in the trip and I run it much lower than that all the time. Also the EGTs continue to rise which leads me to believe its still getting fuel.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It fired up but then died immediately, almost like the Fuel shout off solenoid wouldn't stay up.
Possibly you hit it on the nose right here? If the hold solenoid is getting weak... or perhaps, a loose wire or loose ground? Check the ground on the front of the cylinder head, I believe that's where the FSS grounds to... that would explain most of your symptoms if that was a little loose. The 'revs on its own to 2700 rpm', while you felt the pedal go to the floor... that sounds to me like the cruise control servo fired up? Have not heard of that happening on our trucks to anybody else, but I can't think of what else it could be if the pedal actually moved.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I will check all the wires. I had a problem earlier in the year with the FSS not always coming up. Turned out to be the wire going from the relay to the starter had come loose. But I put a new boot on the solenoid and it had good power both ways. I don't have cruise control on my pickup. I had also thought maybe the gov springs? I did do a 3k kit about 3 years ago, although I did not have this problem last race season. I also am not aware if this is a symptom of a failing or weak overflow valve? The pedal going to the floor is what made me think the gov springs, maybe the rhythmic bumping messes with them somehow, I know they basically act in a centrifical manner.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i checked all the wires did not find any loose however I took the starter off and the small wire connection on it had a broken solder joint on the inside of the starter. The wire was touching but not soldered anymore. I figure this might be the problem. Close enough to work except when i was hitting the bumps. I took it out and soldered it real well. I will find out next weekend if it was the problem. Thanks for the 2 guys who replied!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Please update us when you know if this fixed it or not.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that did not fix the problem. Same trip home, this time it happened a few hundred feet earlier, on a flat spot and there was no traffic so I straddled the center line and avoided all the bumps in the road, so those are not the issues. This time I could feel I was losing power. (Felt like someone had coked out the air) I could not build boost over 10PSI, I pushed in the clutch to shift to 3rd and the Motor revs to 2500 then dies. I could not pull over so I coasted for probably 10 Seconds in neutral, Started cranking on it ( it just cranked like it had no fuel) then it fires up, I put it in 3rd, release the clutch and it goes but I can feel like its going to do the same thing, I can also feel tiny pulsations in it, small enough I couldn't hear them or see the tack move but I could feel them. By this time I crested the hill to the same pull out spot so I let off the throttle and it died, I coasted into my usual spot, popped the hood, noticed nothing unusual, Turned the key and she fires up, drove home the rest of the way without issue. I am going to drop the tank and look at the pickup tube to see if it has a hole or leak in it (as was suggested earlier), outside of that I am thinking OFV or lift pump? The thing is I have no other symptoms. It always starts easy and has plenty of power on bigger hills than this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
685 Posts
OFV or LP... Could be. Hard to really guess without a FP gauge. Frankly, either of those seem real unlikely if the problem just 'goes away' once you get over a hill. Since it happens at the same spot on a trip you take often -- and you also say it's as you're getting close to home... is your tank getting pretty empty at that point? A problem with the fuel pickup seems a likely culprit -- low fuel levels towards the end of your trip, throw in an incline and maybe you're sucking in some air for a little bit until the truck is level again.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
While climbing hills the fuel goes to the back of the tank where the fuel canister is. I can see my gauge go up while climbing hills and go down when descending the other side. I would totally rule out OFV or lift pump. When they fail it is not intermittent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do the fuel sump cannisters in these trucks keep a pool of fuel in them, sort of seperate from the rest of the tank? Perhaps its got debris in it that impedes flow when the fuel level rises?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am at half a tank when I hit this point in the trip and again this is the only time it happens. I will drop the tank tuesday as I have some time after work. GAmes any thoughts on the suspect?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Dropping it might find the culprit, but what it could be I don't know. This is what my canister screen, next to the new one, looked like when I replaced it recently. I replaced it because the fuel gauge wasn't working, not because of a driving issue.

·
Registered
678 Posts
It sounds supernatural. Are you in a UFO sighting zone

·
Registered
685 Posts
It sounds supernatural. Are you in a UFO sighting zone
Lol, yea, something really strange is going on here. The combination of incline and it happening at the same part (towards the end) of a regular trip points to an issue in the fuel tank to me... but it doesn't really make sense, still. Very curious as to what the OP finds when he drops the tank.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol, I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have some pedal left, I would say around 3/4 throttle maybe a little more. That puts me about 2200 rpm, 26ish psi, EGT around 1050. But the last 3 trips boost was at about 10-12 psi egt was 1200, RPM had fallen to 1900 ish and dropping at that spot, throttle seems unresponsive until I push in the clutch then it revs up and dies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't have experience with the 2nd gen governor, but sounds like the problem might be there. I'd check every linkage to see if there is any bind or excess slop. It could be a worn out pivot or bushing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts