Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my truck all back together after swapping out the cab with a not-so-rusty one :thumbsup A lot of work... but it's DONE! :thud:

To the problem...
After getting it all back together I realized the vertical needle that indicates what gear you're in is gone... I guess it fell out? No idea where it went...
Anyways, if I can find a new one someplace, what's the easiest way to get it back in there?

The second problem is that my truck doesn't "click" into gear, it hasn't as long as I've owned it and I want it fixed. The shifter just slides up and down and kind of sits in gear without actually clicking into gear on the column like an auto should. What would be the problem there? I was told it was some sort of a spring on the tranny? Any help here would be nice, I don't want to pay someone else to fix it. It costs a lot to pay someone else a $100 shop rate lol :$: especially when I can just fix it myself

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
You probably left the indicator unhooked when you installed the column. Is is a small piece of string with a metal clip on the end. It comes down on the right side of the colum.

When it is unhooked the needle is out of site most of the time.

The problem you talking about on the linkage sounds like the column inner shaft is frozen in the rearward position. Does the shift lever move forward and backwards when you go to change gears. Or does it stay in the same place???

·
Registered
520 Posts
The clip from the steering column to the pointer is probably not connected. The pointer will be out of the window and not viewable. Find the clip on the string and reconnect to rotating collar.
The detent ball may be missing in the tranny or the spring is wrong/collapsed/broken/missing. It could also be the linkage is binding and you don't feel the detent. Drop the pan and take a look.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
When I got mine the gearshift indicater didn't work, the little string was broken. I fixed it with a piece of nylon fishing line. Not my favourite thing to do with fishing line tho.

Philip and Gatekeeper are describing two different functions/problems. Can you take it out of park without pulling the shift lever toward you? In the column there is a notched guide plate. It locks it in park and once out of park if you allow the lever to move away from you on it's spring then just pull it straight down you should not be able to go beyond drive. To go from drive to 2nd you should have to pull the lever toward you again. To go from 2nd to 1st you should have to pull it toward you a little further. If this isn't what you're experiencing, as Philip described, the problem is in the column, the shift tube is binding, out of adjustment, spring broken or missing.

The other function is as Gatekeeper describes. It is the detent in the transmission. It is a spring and ball or roller arrangement that holds the spool in the correct position to give you drive, rev etc. Disconnect the linkage at the transmission. Shift the transmission lever through it's range. You should feel it click into each gear position and hold it fairly tightly in that position. If you can't feel any of the gear positions or if it's faint, pull the pan as Gatekeeper said. I very much doubt that your problem is the detent because your trans wouldn't last very long like that. Without the detent to hold the spool in position it would be "falling out of gear" frequently and even when it didn't fall completely out of position it would cross feed to other clutches and bands, reduce the pressure on the ones applied and the likes, which takes out a trans fairly quickly. As well you'd have a hard to finding the gear positions, especially with no indicater.

BTW, how did you make out with your doors?

Steve g

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Made out good with the doors :) and the truck is back together without issue except for the needle on the shifter indicator on the dash..
The needle actually fell off the indicator on the dash, I didn't forget to hook it back up, I did hook it back up, the stupid needle just fell right off. I can even see the orange base moving back and forth in there just the needle is totally gone. Kinda strange if you ask me.
The problem with the gears is this: I have to pull it toward me to put it back into park and I think I also have to pull it toward me to get it out of park but I don't have to do that for any of the other gears. from Reverse to 1st it just slides easily. I also can't feel it go into any gear except for when the vehicle lurches. I'm tempted to make a video of it to show you guys but I'm going on a road trip (not with my truck lol) tomorrow and won't be home until Wednesday night. When I get home then I'll probably start diagnosing the problem next Thursday. I'll check back in on the thread when I get home.

Thanks for the help too! I appreciate it so much!

EDIT:
I should point out that the truck does fall out of drive from time to time. It slips out of drive and into neutral sometimes, especially if I hit a good bump or if it's a bit close to neutral it just pops out sometimes. It sometimes also works it's way out of drive slowly, if that makes sense.

·
1ST GEN
15,574 Posts
Never seen a needle break off on one of our trucks before.

There are detents inside the steering column. Sounds like they are worn off or broken. The detents in the trans are not made to hold the full weight of the shift linkage. The slipping out of drive could be due to engine movement. How tight are the motor mounts. Is the rubber oil soaked and worn out?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I had my gear-indicator needle break off before. I had to glue it back on with super glue...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Never seen a needle break off on one of our trucks before.

There are detents inside the steering column. Sounds like they are worn off or broken. The detents in the trans are not made to hold the full weight of the shift linkage. The slipping out of drive could be due to engine movement. How tight are the motor mounts. Is the rubber oil soaked and worn out?
If there are detents in the steering column that would be the first I've ever heard of in my 30 something years as an interprovincial journeyman mech. When I was doing automatics in the trade I never once came across a vehicle with detents in the column, all relied on the valve body detent to hold the linkage, not the otherway around. The position of the manual spool valve is a very precise measurement and it's total travel very short relative to the travel of the shift lever. I can't imagine relying on the steering column, through the linkage (with all it's rubber bushings)to a rubber mounted engine/trans to hold that manual valve in it's correct precise location. The idea that there would be detents in both the trans and the column would seem odd as the flexing on the mounts would cause the two detents to battle each other for control. The general idea in the past has been to allow one a limited amount of free movement so as to follow the one locked by the detent, and because the exact position of the spool valve was more important than the exact position of the shift lever, the detent was placed at the valve body. Now I didn't check with the fsm, but in as much as this trans is essentially a 727 with an overdrive tacked on I presumed it to be the same as all the 727's I'd worked on.

I'm going to crawl under my truck on the weekend and disconnect the linkage. I'll keep you posted.
Steve g

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
There are indents on the column and on the transmission. The rooster comb on the transmission just keeps the gear in place. The column is designed so that you can shift upwards from 1-N without pulling back on the lever, but so that you need to pull back on the lever to downshift from D-1 or to go from N-R/P.

The shifting indents on mine worked great for being factory. I drove a few thousand miles with a manual valve body and stock shifter before getting a ratchet shifter. I prefer to shift manually anyways, and I only ever missed a shift once... Of course, that involved going into reverse at 50 MPH on a freeway overpass...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
There are indents on the column and on the transmission. The rooster comb on the transmission just keeps the gear in place. The column is designed so that you can shift upwards from 1-N without pulling back on the lever, but so that you need to pull back on the lever to downshift from D-1 or to go from N-R/P.

The shifting indents on mine worked great for being factory. I drove a few thousand miles with a manual valve body and stock shifter before getting a ratchet shifter. I prefer to shift manually anyways, and I only ever missed a shift once... Of course, that involved going into reverse at 50 MPH on a freeway overpass...
The indents as you call them, on the column are not detents (other than the park position, technically) and do not hold the manual valve in in position. If you disconnect the trans linkage, you will have to pull the lever towards you to get it out of the park position. I guess that may qualify as a detent, although the general use of the terms suggests an automatic resistance simply requiring more force to overcome. After it's out of the park lock the lever will drop on it's own until it hits the drive position. This is only a stop and you will find you can lift the lever freely. A detent should hold it from moving up or down. Same with 2nd and first. The stops are just that, stops and they only stop movement in one direction. This does not create the "clicking" feeling felt when shifting from one position to the next that the original poster said was missing.

Not wanting to split hairs, but rather to get the op pointed in the right direction.
Steve g

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You're right, mine never "clicked", but it was never sloppy or imprecise. And I don't know if I've ever driven anything that's "clicked" through gears? :confused:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You're right, mine never "clicked", but it was never sloppy or imprecise. And I don't know if I've ever driven anything that's "clicked" through gears? :confused:
Maybe "clicked" isn't the best word to use. The detent is what gives you the "feel" that you're in the next gear. If you hold the shift lever toward you so that it isn't touching any of the stops in the column you can still feel where each gear is. That's the detent in the trans.
Steve g

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm home finally! Now I need to get workin on finishing things with the truck

yeah "click" may be the wrong word to use but I used it for lack of another word. Apart from the lurch of the truck, you can't feel at all what gear the trans is going into.

Based on all you guys have said thus far, I'm guessin I have to check the detents on the tranny and replace/fix it there?

Any help on how to go about this?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so I want to drop the pan and have a look on my transmission but I need to know if I take it off what am I looking for specifically in there? and do I have to worry about trans fluid coming out when I drop the pan? Can anyone supply a picture of any kind to guide me in the right direction on this? or any simple pointers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts