Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a cummins forum but here is my question

i currently own a 2008 ford f350 dually 6.4 powerstroke and am starting an auto transport business and plan on hauling 3 cars at a time on a trailer

can the 350 do this safely?

I see guys using cummins 3500 duallies all the time but I am guessing that the ford has to be able to do it if the dodge can or am i wrong?

in a perfect world I would have a 4wd cummins with a 6 spd but...

so what do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
in reality you need to compare GVWR for each vehicle. This will ultimately tell you what will be better.

You are correct this is a dodge forum so be prepared for some biased reviews

·
Banned
92 Posts

i currently own a 2008 ford f350 dually 6.4 powerstroke and am starting an auto transport business and plan on hauling 3 cars at a time on a trailer

I see guys using cummins 3500 duallies all the time but I am guessing that the ford has to be able to do it if the dodge can or am i wrong?

Based on what you are going to be doing, you should get the Dodge. The cummins is the most reliable diesel available for the 1 ton trucks and i'm 95% sure it could outlast a IH 6.4. And this is coming from a ford guy. Good Luck. OR..... you could run the 6.4 for 500,000 - whenever it dies and then drop a cummins in. Fords are pretty solid trucks.

:thumbsup:
However, you should know that some 4x4 dodges have a WEAK front setup.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome the forum! I would have to say that in a perfect world I would have a F450 with 5.9l in it, but.... :) I see f350s on the road pulling what you're thinking about all the time. Get you a spartan or H&S tune & dpf delete and you will be good to go. You need to check the legality though, as you may be over your GVRW (most are). You may also want to check out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum about your setup. If you dying for a cummins, there are several here for sale ;)

·
Banned
92 Posts
Welcome the forum! I would have to say that in a perfect world I would have a F450 with 5.9l in it, but.... :) I see f350s on the road pulling what you're thinking about all the time. Get you a spartan or H&S tune & dpf delete and you will be good to go. You need to check the legality though, as you may be over your GVRW (most are). You may also want to check out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum about your setup. If you dying for a cummins, there are several here for sale ;)
HELL YEAH, a cummins in a 450, ONE COOL RIG.:drool2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Theres a formula for approx. how much percentage of your loaded weight transfers to pin weight but I cant remember. I think its around 40% on a gooseneck? Dont hold me to that. Also, use that number to estimate your pin weight and figure if your rear axle will be over too.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

You can put 500hp on that motor with exhaust, intake, tuner and injectors. Upgrade the transmission and run the truck till the motor gives up, then swap a Cummins 5.9 Common Rail in it. That would be the least expensive way to go. You'll have enough other expenses to deal with without buying a new truck or swapping motors now.

Here is a product that will help your drivetrain tremendously whether you have an automatic or manual trans. It's not cheap but once you drive with one you'll never not have one;

Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

For car hauling talk to LittleOlHotShotter on this board. He is the MAN.

·
Registered
157 Posts
either truck will easily do it, but the cummins should get better milage. Just have to watch your rear axle rating on the truck, that's where DOT will get you for being over axle. I have never had DOT check the sticker in the door jam, they usually check how much I am plated for, then if they are a little picky they will just look at what the tires are rated for and use that for your GAWR. This is where a 4500/5500 will help because they have much heavier rated rear axles and 19.5's.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
it should do it no problem but you will need a class a cdl since your able to haul over 26k. you mite want to poat this in the towing forum along with checking some of the available hat shot forums. i dont haul cars but i haul oilfield and anything else that fits and doesnt over way me. the dodge is usaully the main choice do to the fact that it seams to get the best mpg while loaded or atleast in my opinion. good luck in your venture. make sure you get a fmcsa rule book so you are familiar with the dot rules a nd regs

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
If you are using it as a work/make money truck go with the simplest and cheapest truck. Don't go crazy on options as the truck will be worn out within 300 or 400k miles and it will be not even paid for if you do a 4 year loan. Adding leather, expensive radio, and other options don't make you money. Keeping the truck rolling and hauling as much as you can does. Don't lose sight of this....in any business.....a penny saved is a profit dollar. Sounds gay but VERY TRUE!!!

I also wouldn't go with a 3500. I'd do a chassis cab (no pickup bed) so you don't have to worry about the 65' rule, and since most 3 or 4 car trailers will put you over the 65' its a concern. 4500 is fine. 5500 is better as you don't have to worry about rear axle loading as much. They ride rougher from what I hear though.

Sleeper is the big killer with any Dodge. That is why my first choice would be a used class 7 Freightliner single axle. But that is just my opinion....

3,180 Posts
they question is can your ford handle the load?
the answer is YES it will pull that load
but be prepared to get passed by a dodge going up hills lol

but seriously if you start looking at other trucks the exaust brake on a dodge cant be beat... its really amazing holds me at 50mph going down a 8% grade with a 22K gross

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've seen a few Fords hauling cars, but most of them I see are Dodges.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've seen a few Fords hauling cars, but most of them I see are Dodges.
Lots of Dodge's do the hot shot hauling in Ga, but there seems to be a 7.3L surge in the last few months with hot shot hauling around here. Best advice given was to tune the 6.4L and run her till she lays down, then drop something else in. Once we are done with our DT 466 or 360 swap, you can be the next guinea pig:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sleeper is the big killer with any Dodge. That is why my first choice would be a used class 7 Freightliner single axle. But that is just my opinion.... NDaneker

Wouldn't he have to haul 5-6 cars to make money with the FL? What does it get, 7-8mpg?

·
Banned
626 Posts
Anybody know if the new crew cab is large enough to keep dot off your back about the sleeper thing?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Wouldn't he have to haul 5-6 cars to make money with the FL? What does it get, 7-8mpg?
From what others have been reporting on their ifta quarterly reports that run the 1 tons or 4500/5500 they only get 9 or 10 mpg pulling those kinds of weights. The FL can get the same or better if equipped right, plus the maintenance is pretty much the same between the two with the FL lasting MUCH LONGER.

Plus you'd get a legal sleeper. You will not get hassled as much with the larger truck then the 1 ton. The back of a quad cab is not DOT compliant for a sleeper. Even the CSS in cab sleeper is being not cracked down on. LillOlHotShotter just got busted for his sleeper and is trying to fight it.

Personally, I'm looking at a used Ryder truck for under 20k. Yes it has 400k miles or so but will go to 1M miles or more if taken care of. And its MUCH cheaper even if it needs a complete engine rebuild then a new 5500 and then having to add a sleeper box. Don't forget at about 300 or 400k these Dodge's are worn out pulling these weights. Yes it will do it, but the dollar per mile is MUCH HIGHER for the Dodge then a used Freightliner when you consider all the costs (cost of vehicle, maintenance, fuel, tires, etc.). And to make money you need to keep costs down. Every dollar saved is a profit dollar!!!!!

Reactions: Moparman

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Maybe that's the way HotShotter should go then. Infinity builds a six car trailer and the FL should pull it better than the 4500-5500. With fuel mileage about the same(water/meth will help) and the stronger FL frame, sounds like a no brainer...

·
Registered
10 Posts
sleeper

Check out woodhouse.com . They have a DOT legal sleeper kit for the dodge quad cab. I just got my new '10 cc dually there mon, , also bought my last mega there, Great deals.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
you better get a document from them that guarentees that it meets fmcsa dot guidelines as a sleeper before spending the money. the dot guys are dam picky. just went to that website, the dot guys do not approve of that sleeper. lots of guys on the hotshot forums have posted this. also thats what littleolehotshotter has and he is in the proccess of fighting it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts