Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

need help deciding on truck

1633 27
Ok, I have narrowed it down to 4 trucks here they are:

03 Auto Quad Cab 6" pro comp lift, 35 on 20's bone stock. amp steps. 109k miles. white. very Clean 19600k

03 6 spd, 8" lift, 38 on 20's. DDP 90's, stock turbo stock fuel sys, no gauges, south bend clutch 70000 miles. clean 22k. Black on Black

06 Quad Cab, 2' leveling on 33's Bone stock, super super clean 103k miles 24k. Silver

05 Auto Quad Cab Laramie 6" ez ride, 37 on 20's. SRT Hood, Sun Roof, Leather, Exhaust, bed liner, steps, intake. 56000 miles. Clean 25k . Black very clean

of course these are starting asking prices....... so some will come cheaper. All are very nice and all I could live with. I am liking the 03 auto for some reason, looks great and has a good base for performance. The 05 black is awsome, looks great just more money. except the 03 6 spd, has all ready a clutch and inj... less I spend more I can mod right away. all are dealers except the 03 6spd. Please help me out on this one. Do the later models like the 05 have better potential for power. I hear the later model cp3 pumps push more fuel and support more hp. Also isn't the turbo on the later models better than the 03 turbos. Last thing I have to consider is the smarty and the 03 poping issues............ please help
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Ok, I have narrowed it down to 4 trucks here they are:

03 Auto Quad Cab 6" pro comp lift, 35 on 20's bone stock. amp steps. 109k miles. white. very Clean 19600k

03 6 spd, 8" lift, 38 on 20's. DDP 90's, stock turbo stock fuel sys, no gauges, south bend clutch 70000 miles. clean 22k. Black on Black

06 Quad Cab, 2' leveling on 33's Bone stock, super super clean 103k miles 24k. Silver

05 Auto Quad Cab Laramie 6" ez ride, 37 on 20's. SRT Hood, Sun Roof, Leather, Exhaust, bed liner, steps, intake. 56000 miles. Clean 25k . Black very clean

of course these are starting asking prices....... so some will come cheaper. All are very nice and all I could live with. I am liking the 03 auto for some reason, looks great and has a good base for performance. The 05 black is awsome, looks great just more money. except the 03 6 spd, has all ready a clutch and inj... less I spend more I can mod right away. all are dealers except the 03 6spd. Please help me out on this one. Do the later models like the 05 have better potential for power. I hear the later model cp3 pumps push more fuel and support more hp. Also isn't the turbo on the later models better than the 03 turbos. Last thing I have to consider is the smarty and the 03 poping issues............ please help
I like the last two trucks. There are virtually bone stock other than lifts....If I buy a used truck it will be completely bone stock regardless just so that I know whoever had it didn't put some stuff on it run the piss out of it and then sells it to some other average joe....

The 05 quad seems like a good looking truck in my opinion....

· Registered
432 Posts
I like the extra bells and whistles on the Laramie. 56k is nothing on a diesel, kinda like buying a gas engine truck with 10k or so.

· Registered
302 Posts
the 03 6spd would make me nervous. 90hp tips, stock turbo and fuel system. had to run very hot IMO

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I really like the 05 laramie...... hood, lift, tires, exh, intake lower miles..... but I also like the 03 auto with lift anf tires. i think its between these two....... also I agree with the 03 6spd. no gauges, 90's with stock turbo and fuel sys, all bad in my opinion uless it was babied. So now its between the 05 laramie and 03 auto I think. Thinks it becomes a price issue now..... so if I get the 05 a tad cheaper I will go for it. If not its the 03... I hope

· Registered
44 Posts
I would say the 2005 especially if you aren't to worried about the body style. The truck also has alot of great cosmetic upgrade that can be spendy to put on afterward. Only flaw on the 05 to my knowledge is the plastic intercooler. If you dont plan pushin crazy boost you should be ok though.

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just lloking for 40-45 ish on boost. What ever the super b throws out...... ford assassin, sounds good, but I will be on my way to the airport picking the guy up whp bought my truck. He flies in from Texas to Sac in a few hours........

· Registered
4,004 Posts
i know the smarty runs the best on that year from what i heard...but then again 1 less injection event on the older models might be a good choice to..your goal is 550-600 right.if so and your gonna stay there, i would go with the 05, if you think the itch might comeback, the 03 or 04 if possible.....JMO

· Registered
4,871 Posts
The 05 sounds the best. I personally like the newer style headlights on the 06 but the 05 has alot of add ons that make it appealing and the low miles are definately a plus!

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, my Texas. Drove off an hour ago. So I will be in a Cummins by Wednesday. As for the 05 black laramie....... it got sold this afternoon.... Dang it.... I am going to try for the 03 white quad cab 6" lift on 35's..... Its nice and a good base....

· Registered
1,776 Posts
I like the way the 03' auto quad cab and 06' auto quad cab sound. But the 05' sounds good too! 2006's look the best though IMO:thumbsup:

· Registered
3,661 Posts
Yeah I would say 05 was first the 06 second and wouldnt touch the 03 6spd with 90hp stix with a 10' pole

· Registered
624 Posts
just to throw it out there
sat i bought a 05 2500 4x4 slt 6 in fabtech with swaybars new 37s auto with suncoast internals 5 in exhaust with 107,000 for $15,300
just sayin that i got a deal but also knowing you could find a deal if you do good research

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.