Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 06 cummins that had a built trans and edge juice w/a hot. Ive had it for about a week and have had no problems yet, tranny seems to be shifting good and firm. This morning i went out and started my truck and came back in for like 10 mins to let it warm up. Went back out there and my edge trans temp was beeping and it was at like 270F and you could smell something was burning. So i shut it right down and pulled the trans dipstick and it smelled really burnt, no shavings though. What could have happened while it was just idling like that??? Heres a list of what i was told has been done:

Protorque billet converter, Trans go shift kit, Rigid 2nd band, Billet band strut, Addition 3rd and 4th clutch, Fulltime lube in valve body, Aftermarket Governor sylnoid, and tightened clearances.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I don't know if the third gens still use them, but on the second gens there was a check valve that could stick shut in one of the lines and cause some pretty knarley issues.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well just talked to the trans builder and he said the check valves or whatever are these trannys arent in the lines anymore and that there in the cooler so you cant remove them. He said the issue isnt that because i took it for a drive and the temps leveled out at about 170 driving around for 15 mins. When i put the truck in park the circle around the gear you select doesnt always circle park right away and i have to wiggle it to get it in. He said the it was probably not completely in park and a clutch could have been slipping while it was idling?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem is bud, but I bought a truck with the "built tranny" and will neeeever do it again. Built tranny means a motor that was puttin out some power. More power is more wear and probably abuse too imo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured with just the edge on there that power levels couldn't get too crazy

·
Cummins Nut
688 Posts
mine has the check valve in the trany line..... open hood and look down on the right side of the radiator .... there are 2 lines about 6" from the radiator and one has a arrow pointing in the flow direction ...and there is your check valve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it wouldn't be the check valve if it runs nice and cool while driving

·
Cummins Nut
688 Posts
Well it wouldn't be the check valve if it runs nice and cool while driving
while driving the pressures are higher than sitting and idling..... maybe its just starting to get stuck..... just a thought

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes since, are these lines on pass. Or driverside?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, does anybody know of a good trans builder near lansing, mi?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took it in to Dusty at HTS in lowell, mi and all is well now. Id recommend anybody within driving distance to take there trans there, he really knows his stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts