Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we replaced the return line on my trans. We took everything off. Well the heat exchanger fitting threads when taking the one line off well. They didnt want to stay so Now I got a small leak.. How dose this fitting come out or Should I just bypass the heat exchanger with a trans rubber line and order up myself a good aftermarket cooler??

·
Premium Member
15,181 Posts
The fitting doesn't come out of the heat exchanger. You eithe rhave the flare misaligned when you tightened it or there is a mich or crack in it. You migh try loosening the nut and reseting the end and retighten making SURE you have a back up wrench on the heat exchanger side.

You can probably have a good rubber line built with new fittings at hose shop. Most places can make you lines with JIC fittings on them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue is the heater threads are no good. Otherwise Id take it back off in a heart bead. Im Going to bypass it tomorrow. Not worth loosing the trans if it cracks and trans fluid mixs.

·
Premium Member
15,181 Posts
Nope, it is history then if the threads are bad. If you are not running in the colder climates bypassing it is definitely an option. A thermo controlled aux cooler with a fan under the bed will help after bypass.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You could always try brazing it or soldering it temporarily till it's replaced. Some would make that a permanent repair, but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now should I bypass it completely with an aftermarket cooler or Should I order a new one. seems to be about 800$ and no one makes it on the aftermarket side. So I guess dealer only

·
Premium Member
15,181 Posts
Yes, they are delaer only for those. TC Diesel thought he had a source for one that was somewhat cheaper. Might check with him. Aftermarket cooler is going to be cheaper, just not as effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts