Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 94 12 valve with the 74RH tranny that just went out :banghead: and i found a 74RE out of a 97. My question is what is the difference between thease two trans and what would i have to change to put it in and make it work? thanks guys

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am assuming you transposed your numbers, it should be a 47RH in your 94 and 47RE in the 97. The RH is a hydraulically controlled where the RE is an electronically controlled. I think you would need a stand alone computer to run the electronics in the RE.

Reactions: brapp_wyoming

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
One will bolt right up where the other was. The only difference as stated above is the electronics. You will need the wiring harness and computer off truck the trans comes out of.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
No, a 47RE will NOT bolt up to where a 47RH was. The transmissions are a different length because the 47RH has a fly weight governor in the tail shaft housing. The transmission mount is different too. The cross member may also be different. The drive shaft is longer for the 47RE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys, now if i took that computer out of the 97 would it plug right in or would i have to re wire the whole thing to make it work right?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You'll need the complete wiring harness going to trans. The RE has more things controlled by the PCM than the RH.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ATS has a stand alone ECU for the tranny now, it's expensive but it's sweet. I know a guy that has one and it will allow you to control the whole tranny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts