Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an issue today when driving home from a 3 hour trip I stopped to get fuel at a Bp about 30 minutes later my truck started sputtering when I hit the gas then lost power but sounded normal when idling but every time I pressed the throttle it would knock and not go anywhere I had to limp home about 35 miles going 10-20mph can anyone help here my truck has a remanufactured VP44 and an raptor 4g lift pump. Do you think the fuel was bad when I was pumping it Could someone tell me the best way to rid the entire system of this bad fuel that’s in it if so. I had a thought that it was pumping weird and going awfully slow and then soon after sure enough my truck is running like poo.. it still starts and idles but when you press the throttle it sputters and injector is knocking but engine is not knocking at idle so I really believe it’s something fuel related any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
21,736 Posts
Welcome. Are you sure you did not use the wrong green pump and put E85 gas in it? Pull codes? Use scan tool, not key. Sounds like VP timng failure. How old is it, from where?. One in a million you would get bad fuel from a station. How much did you put in and how much left before you did?
Rest of truck details for signature block please. How long you had it? Location?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Are you sure you did not use the wrong green pump and put E85 gas in it? Pull codes? Use scan tool, not key. Sounds like VP timng failure. How old is it, from where?. One in a million you would get bad fuel from a station. How much did you put in and how much left before you did?
Rest of truck details for signature block please. How long you had it? Location?
I don’t have a scanner sadly going all off my head but I definitely did not put e85 in I put around $25 so what’s that about 7 gallons roughly? I plan on checking fuel pressure today and dumping the tank removing it from the truck and thoroughly cleaning it I’m trying to figure out the best way to pump the injection pump clean and the injectors though

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Scan for codes as suggested. Pretty coincidental to all the issues starting after filling up, which suggests bad fuel.

·
Registered
21,736 Posts
If you have a parts tore nearby and it will get there they will pull codes for free. Or Harbor and Autozone etc have scan tools for under 50 dollars that work just fine.
Before dropping tank pull the filter and look for water or contaminants or gasoline. It has happened before that stations have had truck drivers put gas in their diesel tanks. Floods have put water in the tanks too. But the point is it will show up in the filter to confirm without pulling the tank.
If it had water or dimilar contaminants in it, it would not have idled for 35 miles. Pulling codes and filter are the very most important and definitive things you can do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a parts tore nearby and it will get there they will pull codes for free. Or Harbor and Autozone etc have scan tools for under 50 dollars that work just fine.
Before dropping tank pull the filter and look for water or contaminants or gasoline. It has happened before that stations have had truck drivers put gas in their diesel tanks. Floods have put water in the tanks too. But the point is it will show up in the filter to confirm without pulling the tank.
If it had water or dimilar contaminants in it, it would not have idled for 35 miles. Pulling codes and filter are the very most important and definitive things you can do.
It’s crazy because it idled okay but it just bounced back and forth a bit when sitting but when I press the throttle there is 0 power and sounds like every single injector is knocking what’s the best way to clean the system out from it I obviously will be draining and cleaning the tank but what about getting the crap out of the injection pump injectors and injector lines?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s crazy because it idled okay but it just bounced back and forth a bit when sitting but when I press the throttle there is 0 power and sounds like every single injector is knocking what’s the best way to clean the system out from it I obviously will be draining and cleaning the tank but what about getting the crap out of the injection pump injectors and injector lines?
Haven’t had much chance to look at it yet have been battling trying to find a new vehicle for my wife went to get her a van today 3 hrs away the dealer told us they were holding it and ended up selling it before we showed up needless to say I am renting a vehicle until we can get her a new one and fix the truck.

·
Registered
21,736 Posts
You can not clean the injection pump or injectors, but the filter should have caught anything that big. You need to pull the filter before doing anything else and see what you have, nothing, water, gunk, gasoline or what?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can not clean the injection pump or injectors, but the filter should have caught anything that big. You need to pull the filter before doing anything else and see what you have, nothing, water, gunk, gasoline or what?
I plan on pulling the filter and replacing it as well as removing the inlet suction line from the raptor 4g lift pump and getting a 1 gallon container to start the truck up with that has clean diesel and letting it run for a few minutes to pump the old crap back to the tank and if its running well I guess I will be dropping the tank and giving it a thorough cleaning since that would seem like the easiest way to verify my situation without dropping the tank right off the bat

·
Registered
21,736 Posts
NO it is not the easiest way to check anything. Draining the filter into a glass jar and checking it then changing filter is the first and best way. You can also disconnect a line going into the filter and bump the starter run and pump into a large jar and check what is currently being pumped from the tank. You really should establish for sure there is something in the fuel before dropping the tank. Also 30 gallons of fuel in a tank is not easy to deal with.
Have you contacted the station you bought fuel at and ask it they had any other problems. If not you should.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was checking fuel pressure with a gauge at the vp44 pump which was 9 psi before I changed the filter and noticed the fuel drain on the separator was leaking so I took the sample and fuel looked good I then replaced the filter and the water separator drain valve the filter was black.. I also bumped the fuel pressure to 14psi at idle and it’s right at about 8psi with wide open throttle seems to be running fine now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I also bumped the fuel pressure to 14psi at idle and it’s right at about 8psi with wide open throttle seems to be running fine now.
That's a good improvement. However, fuel pressure needs to be above 10psi at WOT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a good improvement. However, fuel pressure needs to be above 10psi at WOT.
What psi do you have yours set to? Luckily my air dog is simple to adjust just loosen the jamb but and turn the flat head screw should I set it to 18psi at idle? That seems to be the magic number everyone else uses

·
Registered
591 Posts
You may want to use a gauge that reads a lower scale. Like 30 max. It will be more accurate.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I would adjust your idle psi to whatever pressure under 20psi that results in 10psi or greater at WOT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts