Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've not had time to search this out so please accept my appoligies....

I need to order a fuel pressure gauge. I assume 30 psi is sufficient???????? Leaning toward Auto Meter's Cobolt but it's NOT cheap. Any other recommendations?

Also ready to order an Air Dog.... 100 or 150? I don't race it.... it's a truck :butt: but it will pull a trailer... 36' gooeneck with a camper and a rock crawler and maybe eventually an enclosed 40 footer for the church's disaster response team.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
30psi is all you'll need on a VP-44.

I exclusively run Pricol white face gauges.... now, I know what you're thinking...white face gauges don't match the dash... but I think they look great, especially at night. They also make black face gauges...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have to match the dash...... :D

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanical or electric???? Is one better then the other?

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Mechanical or electric???? Is one better then the other?
This question regularly starts a debate.

We believe mechanical is the best way to go. It is more expensive and more labor to install, but has serious merits to the way it works.

Our experience tells us that everything can fail..... It also shows us that when a mechanical gauge fails it will fail to Zero or a lower reading than actual. With that said; you always want to know when a VP truck is starving for fuel, because it can cost you serious money and failure. If a gauge shows low pressure you the owner are called to action.

We have seen many failed VP's in our shop that have a FP gauge that is showing 12+ PSI of fuel pressure, upon tying in a shop gauge to verify the fuel pressure we have found NONE. This was due to a faulty SENDING UNIT. It was cheap to fix the sender and gauge, but the VP was smoked and that cost another $1600.00. In relation to your question, who wants to be driving around thinking everything is OK, only to be destroying their IP.

We recommend the mechanical gauges when installed on a VP truck.... we do sell Electric regularly, but always with the advice above.

It is not common to sell someone a second gauge with the VP install... the pain of the deal normally helps them understand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts